Bahrain-based banker held in Dubai
Manama, June 4, 2008
A British international banker based in Bahrain has been detained in Dubai, sources have revealed.
A British Embassy official in Bahrain confirmed that multi-millionaire Charles Ridley had been detained in Dubai, said a report in the Gulf Daily News, our sister newspaper.
"The British Embassy in Dubai has been in contact with Dubai authorities to seek consular access to Mr Ridley," said the official.
He said that as of yesterday (June 3), consular access had not been granted but officials were still trying.
The official would not elaborate on the reasons for Ridley's reported detention.
It is believed Ridley was detained two or three days ago, along with a business associate, the sources said.
His wife Kino told the Gulf Daily News yesterday she had not heard from her husband for a few days.
"He is out of the country at the moment. I have just returned from the UK and I have not heard from him for a few days and he normally calls in. I am hoping to hear from him very soon."
She said she was aware of a warrant being ordered against him in the UAE.
"We have lawyers working on this and are getting help from the British Embassy," said Mrs Ridley. "We need to know that Charles in OK. It's a terribly delicate situation." -TradeArabia News Service
More Finance & Capital Market Stories
- NBAD names key official for Hong Kong
- Commercial Bank of Dubai obtains $450m loan
- EFG Hermes names group co-chief
- Islamic bond issuance in GCC picking up
- Kuwait budget surplus likely to hit $42.4bn
- Bahrain banking sector on road to recovery
- GCC banks' outlook stable, says report
- GBSA panel names new chairperson
- NBK group CEO to step down
- SABB gets Fitch ratings boost