UAE banks to cut interest on personal loans
Dubai, May 26, 2009
Banks in the United Arab Emirates have decided to lower interest rates on personal loans to 7 percent as of June 1, a newspaper reported on Tuesday citing banking sources.
The central bank said on Thursday it had asked banks operating in the Gulf state for feedback on a proposed change to interest rates and charges on personal loans.
The cut would affect car, personal finance and housing loans, Al-Khaleej newspaper said without identifying the source of the report.
'Most banks' credit is currently focused on individuals and personal loans, especially after they had curbed financing for some of other sectors,' the paper said, citing banking sources.
Liquidity had improved and interbank lending was returning to the same levels seen before the global economic crisis, the sources said.-Reuters
More Finance & Capital Market Stories
- NBAD approves 40pc cash dividends
- NBAD sees 8-10pc loan growth
- Al Basel Group launches investment arm
- Union Insurance posts $18m profit
- Oman warns banks on conflicts of interest
- Japan to lend Tunisia $480m
- 400 to join anti-laundering seminar in Riyadh
- Lebanese insurer to head Prague Club
- UAE's first REIT plans $135m IPO
- Bahrain banking industry outlook 'positive'
- New India Assurance opens Bahrain branch
- Qatar sets up mixed business incubator
- Kuwait budget spending up 8pc in April-Jan
- Thomson Reuters to host Mena IFR awards
- ADIB offers smartphone industry investment
- Gulf Finance House to start $3bn Tunisia project
- KFH completes ICT project upgrade
- Egypt urban annual inflation slows to 9.8pc
- BIBF signs deal with Palestinian institute
- Bahrain’s GDP set to expand 12pc
- KFH-Bahrain rebrands priority banking
- Bank Nizwa wins top Islamic bank award
- Qatar labour costs may jump: IMF
- Kuwait Q3 trade surplus hits $23bn
- Dubai trade growth up 7.6pc to $362bn
- Deloitte appoints new managing director
- Al Ramz tops UAE trading in Feb
- IFC in $150m loan deal with Bank Audi
- SME funding focus for Abu Dhabi forum
- Insurance House posts second year of profit