BKIC's profit surges 46pc to $6m
Manama, July 28, 2009
The Bahrain Kuwait Insurance Company (BKIC) achieved an underwriting profit of BD2.3 million ($6.1 million) in the first half of the year, up 46 per cent on the BD1.6 million earned in the first half of last year.
The company registered a 17 per cent increase in gross premium revenue at BD18.4 million.
But investment income fell by 34 per cent to BD818,159.
'This is due to the decline in the region's financial markets and decrease in interest rates,' said chief executive officer Ebrahim Al Rayes.
'Also, the final results were affected by the fall in the exchange rate of the Kuwaiti dinar by 7.5 per cent as compared to the end of last year.'
Earnings per share decreased to 43 fils as against 45 fils last time. The return on shareholders' equity increased to 11.22 per cent compared to 10.05 per cent for the same period last year.
Technical reserves registered an increase of 7 per cent from BD12.7 million at the end of last year to BD13.5 million.-TradeArabia News Service
More Finance & Capital Market Stories
- NBAD approves 40pc cash dividends
- NBAD sees 8-10pc loan growth
- Al Basel Group launches investment arm
- Union Insurance posts $18m profit
- Oman warns banks on conflicts of interest
- Japan to lend Tunisia $480m
- 400 to join anti-laundering seminar in Riyadh
- Lebanese insurer to head Prague Club
- UAE's first REIT plans $135m IPO
- Bahrain banking industry outlook 'positive'
- New India Assurance opens Bahrain branch
- Qatar sets up mixed business incubator
- Kuwait budget spending up 8pc in April-Jan
- Thomson Reuters to host Mena IFR awards
- ADIB offers smartphone industry investment
- Gulf Finance House to start $3bn Tunisia project
- KFH completes ICT project upgrade
- Egypt urban annual inflation slows to 9.8pc
- BIBF signs deal with Palestinian institute
- Bahrain’s GDP set to expand 12pc
- KFH-Bahrain rebrands priority banking
- Bank Nizwa wins top Islamic bank award
- Qatar labour costs may jump: IMF
- Kuwait Q3 trade surplus hits $23bn
- Dubai trade growth up 7.6pc to $362bn
- Deloitte appoints new managing director
- Al Ramz tops UAE trading in Feb
- IFC in $150m loan deal with Bank Audi
- SME funding focus for Abu Dhabi forum
- Insurance House posts second year of profit