ABC Islamic posts $10m net profit for ‘09
Manama, February 25, 2010
Bahrain-based ABC Islamic Bank has posted a net profit of $10.1 million for 2009 compared to $25.6 million for 2008.
Net profit for the fourth quarter was $3.7 million, compared to a nominal third quarter loss of $175,000 as there were no impairment provisions required for the fourth quarter compared to $3 million taken in the third quarter.
Income for the fourth quarter was $7.4 million versus $9.2 million for the previous quarter, due to customer repayments, lower participation fees and lower rates.
There was also the positive impact of lower rates as profit payable declined to $3.2 million versus $4.6 million in the previous quarter which allowed the net profit margin to stay at $4.2 million, slightly lower than the previous quarter of $4.5 million.
Staff and operating costs for the fourth quarter were at $0.6 million versus $1.6 million in the third quarter, mostly because of the reversal of 2009 incentive accruals during the quarter.
For the year, net profit margin income was $20 million compared to $25.9 million for 2008, due largely to lower rates and prudent trimming of balance sheet asset size. Staff and operating costs were unchanged at $5 million compared to 2008.
Impairment provisions of $5 million were taken in 2009 against exposure in the GCC compared to $3 million total provisions in 2008.
Shareholders’ equity at the year-end stood at $176.5 million compared with the total of $153 million at 31 December 2008. Capital adequacy ratio, calculated on the basis of Basel II Capital adequacy regime stood at 24.1%, predominantly Tier 1, which totaled 23%, both up year on year.
ABC Islamic Bank’s total assets as at December 2009 stood at $1.32 billion, compared with $1.46 billion at the end of December 2008.
“ABC Islamic maintained a positive operating result in 2009 despite conservative provisioning to cover exposure in the GCC. However the bank’s capitalization continues to provide a healthy platform for future growth,” said Naveed Khan, managing director. – TradeArabia News Service
More Finance & Capital Market Stories
- Seera total income rises to $34m
- NBAD approves 40pc cash dividends
- NBAD sees 8-10pc loan growth
- Al Basel Group launches investment arm
- Union Insurance posts $18m profit
- Oman warns banks on conflicts of interest
- Japan to lend Tunisia $480m
- 400 to join anti-laundering seminar in Riyadh
- Lebanese insurer to head Prague Club
- UAE's first REIT plans $135m IPO
- Bahrain banking industry outlook 'positive'
- New India Assurance opens Bahrain branch
- Qatar sets up mixed business incubator
- Kuwait budget spending up 8pc in April-Jan
- Thomson Reuters to host Mena IFR awards
- ADIB offers smartphone industry investment
- Gulf Finance House to start $3bn Tunisia project
- KFH completes ICT project upgrade
- Egypt urban annual inflation slows to 9.8pc
- BIBF signs deal with Palestinian institute
- Bahrain’s GDP set to expand 12pc
- KFH-Bahrain rebrands priority banking
- Bank Nizwa wins top Islamic bank award
- Qatar labour costs may jump: IMF
- Kuwait Q3 trade surplus hits $23bn
- Dubai trade growth up 7.6pc to $362bn
- Deloitte appoints new managing director
- Al Ramz tops UAE trading in Feb
- IFC in $150m loan deal with Bank Audi
- SME funding focus for Abu Dhabi forum