ABC denies debt deal with Kuwait firm
Manama, June 26, 2011
Bahrain-based Arab Banking Corporation (ABC) said on Sunday that it had not reached an agreement with Kuwait's International Leasing and Investment Company (ILIC) to write off debt.
Last week, Kuwaiti newspaper Al-Seyassah citied a source saying that ABC had agreed to write off 90 percent of the $120 million in debts owed to it by ILIC.
'ABC acts as agent for a syndicate of banks that provided loans to ILIC totalling $120 million. The exposure of ABC to ILIC is only a small proportion of this amount. No agreement has been reached with ILIC to write off any of the debt,' said the bank in a statement to the bourse. - Reuters
More Finance & Capital Market Stories
- Gulf stocks surge as Fed tapering adds fuel to fire
- SABB launches graduates programme
- NBAD names key official for Hong Kong
- Commercial Bank of Dubai obtains $450m loan
- EFG Hermes names group co-chief
- Islamic bond issuance in GCC picking up
- Kuwait budget surplus likely to hit $42.4bn
- Bahrain banking sector on road to recovery
- GCC banks' outlook stable, says report
- GBSA panel names new chairperson