Medical, life insurance markets growing
Manama, February 8, 2012
Growth in the Middle East insurance market is particularly strong in the fields of medical, healthcare and life insurance business, said experts at the ongoing Middle East Insurance Forum (MEIF 2012) in Bahrain.
But people are more cautious about growth in the motor and personal insurance sector, according to Ernst & Young Mena Insurance senior director Justin Balcombe, whose firm has sponsored the forum.
"There are challenges in developing the large commercial side of the market and we need more technical underwriting to make sure companies are taking on profitable risk," Balcombe stated.
"The takaful market has seen significant growth but it also faces its own challenges. Both conventional and takaful face similar problems about operating in unprofitable segments," he said. "One of the problems in the region is that there are too many companies in the market," he added.
"There are 63 onshore firms in the UAE alone and that is too many," he said.
"We have been saying for years that the market needs consolidation but that requires companies with cash to acquire others that have value," explained Balcombe.
"Ownership needs to be simplified in the region for foreign firms," he added.-TradeArabia News Service
More Finance & Capital Market Stories
- Lebanese insurer to head Prague Club
- UAE's first REIT plans $135m IPO
- Bahrain banking industry outlook 'positive'
- New India Assurance opens Bahrain branch
- Qatar sets up mixed business incubator
- Kuwait budget spending up 8pc in April-Jan
- Thomson Reuters to host Mena IFR awards
- ADIB offers smartphone industry investment
- Gulf Finance House to start $3bn Tunisia project
- KFH completes ICT project upgrade
- Egypt urban annual inflation slows to 9.8pc
- BIBF signs deal with Palestinian institute
- Bahrain’s GDP set to expand 12pc
- KFH-Bahrain rebrands priority banking
- Bank Nizwa wins top Islamic bank award
- Qatar labour costs may jump: IMF
- Kuwait Q3 trade surplus hits $23bn
- Dubai trade growth up 7.6pc to $362bn
- Deloitte appoints new managing director
- Al Ramz tops UAE trading in Feb
- IFC in $150m loan deal with Bank Audi
- SME funding focus for Abu Dhabi forum
- Insurance House posts second year of profit
- ETF global assets hit record $2.44 trillion
- Bahrain firms plan IPOs
- Serbia wins $1bn Abu Dhabi loan
- Key equity banker resigns from Saudi Fransi
- DMCC to boost Islamic commodity trade with tie-ups
- IDB, KIA units to invest in Morocco
- First Gulf to set up $1bn sukuk in Malaysia