UAE business activity up; exports down
Dubai, August 5, 2012
Business activity in the UAE's non-oil private sector edged up slightly in July from the previous month, but the growth of export orders fell sharply, a purchasing managers' survey showed on Sunday.
The HSBC UAE Purchasing Managers' Index, which measures the performance of the manufacturing and services sectors, rose to 53.4 points last month from 53.2 in June. The adjusted index remains above the 50-point mark which separates growth from contraction, the survey of 400 private sector firms showed.
"Although the sharp drop in export orders is troubling, overall the data suggests the non-oil economy is showing some resilience," said Simon Williams, chief economist for the Middle East and North Africa at HS
More Finance & Capital Market Stories
- Deutsche Bank named top FX bank in Mideast
- Doha bourse breaks key 9,000 level
- UAE economic growth hits 4.4pc in 2012
- DFM firms achieve 100pc compliance
- NBK Egypt unit Q1 profit up 15.3pc
- Barclays names key official for Abu Dhabi
- MEPS, Umniah ink MasterCard services deal
- Bahrain insurance market ‘set to grow’
- Takaful poised for big growth
- Qatar Holding, Italy fund eye Versace