UAE discount window on track says cbank
Manama, March 13, 2013
The UAE central bank said on Wednesday that preparations to introduce a discount window were proceeding, though it declined to specify when the facility would be ready.
Last September, the central bank announced it would develop its monetary policy framework by launching a discount window to enable banks to borrow intra-day and overnight funds.
On Wednesday, central bank governor Sultan Nasser Al-Suweidi said: "It takes time of course to make studies and put systems. We are on track."
Asked whether the window might open this year, he told reporters on the sidelines of a regional central bankers' meeting in Bahrain: "I cannot give you any date. It is not only regulations, it is computer systems. So you have to develop the right computer systems...that take different currencies into consideration."
In January last year, the UAE signed a three-year currency swap agreement with China worth 20 billion dirhams ($5.5 billion) to boost two-way trade and investment.
Asked whether the UAE was considering holding part of its foreign reserves in yuan, in line with the growing international use of the Chinese currency, Suweidi said: "It is also on track. We are studying different issues related to the swap agreement, and of course we are looking at the experiences of other countries like Asian countries that have these agreements with the Chinese." He did not elaborate. - Reuters
More Finance & Capital Market Stories
- Bahrain firms plan IPOs
- Serbia wins $1bn Abu Dhabi loan
- Key equity banker resigns from Saudi Fransi
- DMCC to boost Islamic commodity trade with tie-ups
- IDB, KIA units to invest in Morocco
- First Gulf to set up $1bn sukuk in Malaysia
- Singapore’s UOB Bullion and Futures joins DGCX
- Infrastructure investment ‘key to growth’
- BKIC declares 30pc dividend
- StanChart profit falls 16pc in 2013
- Veteran Saudi banker to head AMF
- Dubai World prepays $284m to creditors
- EFG-Hermes sells Damas stake to Mannai
- Ultra rich number to grow 35pc in Mideast
- Saudi IPO market 'set for big year'
- RAK 'exploring' ceramics unit stake sale
- Bahrain Bourse wins key UK award
- Alba backs Euromoney forum
- URC bond rating upgraded to stable outlook
- GCC urged to set up onshore financial centres
- Consolidation push paying off for Bahrain banks
- Mubadala to focus more on US, Europe
- Six banks join plan for shared customer data register
- UAE economy grows 4pc in 2013
- Egypt foreign reserves up to $17.3bn
- StanChart opens second branch in Iraq
- Oil below $90 to hit GCC economies
- Payfort offers zero deposit scheme to SMEs
- In a first, NCB Capital names female CEO
- Du enters $1.17 billion financing deals