Dr Khaled Kawan
ABC names new president and CEO
Manama, October 28, 2013
The Arab Banking Corporation (ABC), Bahrain’s largest bank and a leading regional bank in the Middle East, has announced the appointment of Dr Khaled Kawan as president and chief executive of the ABC Group.
Dr Kawan comes from serving as acting president and CEO of the ABC Group since April and deputy president and chief executive for the past four years.
Saddek El Kaber, the chairman of the ABC Group, said: “We are very pleased to announce the appointment of Dr. Kawan. After a robust and thorough search, the Board of Directors is confident that Dr. Kawan is the most suitable candidate to lead ABC at this new phase.”
“Over the past years, Dr. Kawan demonstrated great leadership skills, understanding of ABC and a strong drive to move forward with the Bank’s transformation process that aims to strengthen its leading position in the market.”
Dr. Kawan said: “I look forward to continue working with the management team and the Board to achieve the potential of ABC in becoming the leading universal bank in the Arab world. I appreciate the challenges we face on the regional and global levels, but I am full of confidence that ABC will continue to make its unique mark in the Middle East’s financial sector and satisfy its stakeholders.”
Dr. Khaled Kawan joined ABC in 1991 and served in a variety of key local and global roles for the Group until 2009, when he was appointed as deputy chief executive. Dr. Kawan has a PhD in Banking Laws from the University of the Sorbonne in Paris. – TradeArabia News Service
More Finance & Capital Market Stories
- GIH picks ex-Barclays banker as investment head
- Jeddah Economic Company names new CEO
- Saudi real GDP growth surges to 3.1pc in Q3
- UAE business activity growth hits record high
- Global Islamic banking assets ‘set to top $1.7trn’
- Egypt back in business, says new survey
- United Arab Bank backs UAE-Turkey business
- Islamic finance 'facing integration challenge'
- Bahrain tops in developed Islamic finance sector
- DME sets new trading records