Tubli Bay project work halted
Manama, June 6, 2007
All further development on the reclaimed land in Bahrain's Tubli Bay was yesterday (June 5) suspended for six months until a new coastal line is drawn.
The Central Municipal Council aims to ensure that the bay's shores, which are in a protected zone under a Royal decree issued last August, are open to the public and are not part of private property.
Councillors also instructed the Central Municipality to halt any building licences in the area until the end of the year to determine which land would be bought from their owners to be turned into public shores.
Under the United Nations (UN) regulations, development should be away from public beaches by at least 100 metres, which councillors say they were trying to ensure.
They decided to halt Dadabhai Group's BD20 million waterfront housing and development project, which is close to the bay's shores.
A committee comprising representatives from Central and Manama municipal councils, Municipalities and Agriculture Ministry, and Survey and Land Registration Bureau will be formed to draw the new coastal line.
Acting Central Municipal Council chairman Abbas Mahfoodh told councillors at their meeting that the Dadabhai Group would be able to start work on the project whenever the committee finishes drawing the new coastal line.
'Its project will be put on hold until the whole coastal area is drawn and then we will give it permission to start construction.'
The issue was discussed at the meeting after the Survey and Land Registration Bureau urged the council to give the new project the go ahead.
The bureau told councillors in a letter read at their meeting that the investor had agreed to give 10 metres from his land for the public coast to allow him to build six-storeys instead of three.
The project was scheduled to begin at the end of October last year, but has been postponed until the coastal line and the bay size are decided. The Royal decree determines the bay's size at 13.5 km.
The six-storey project will include 216 apartments, ranging from 950sqft to 2,550sqft in size. Group chairman Mohammed Dadabhai was unavailable for comment yesterday. -TradeArabia News Service
More Construction & Real Estate Stories
- Emaar rules out plans for new tall tower
- Barwa net profit surges 27.3pc
- RAK Properties adds new villas to Flamingo project
- Saudi launches housing scheme to ease shortage
- R&M wins Oman residential project contract
- Asian skyscraper prices tower over rest of the world
- Tamleek opens new office in Dubai
- $29m allocated for Bahrain drainage projects
- Indian group plans $300m Bahrain Bay investment
- Drake and Scull awards key supply contract
- FCC wins $702m Doha metro line contract
- SPF Realty sees Dubai project success
- Abu Dhabi set for big property show
- Aldar working on $1.5bn UAE housing projects
- Gulf Finance House to start $3bn Tunisia project
- Abu Dhabi to see 10pc surge in new homes
- Saudi construction sector booming on new contracts
- Emaar offers 330 apartments in MBR City
- Dubai Design District sees big demand
- HUGE DEAL: Arabtec inks $40bn Egypt housing project
- Galfar ex-CEO gets 15 years' jail over bribes
- $32m BFH car park work underway
- Bahrain awards $5.8m project tenders
- Spinneys to set up distribution centre at Kizad
- Dubai unveils $300m hitech 'green' city project
- Deyaar plans $245m Dubai complex
- IFA unveils $272m Dubai mixed-use project
- CBRE tops Fortune’s most admired firms list
- Kuwait's real estate sales hit $1.1bn in Jan
- Dubai RTA awards $27m roads contract