Floating Bridge to ease Dubai traffic
Dubai , June 24, 2007
Roads and Transport Authority's Floating Bridge project is expected to ease traffic situation on Al Maktoum Bridge in Dubai.
The Dh81.5 million ($22 million) project can take up to 6,000 vehicles during rush hours, said a report in the Khaleej Times.
The bridge made of 20-metre-wide hollow concrete blocks will float in water. The six-lane bridge, which is expected to open to traffic next month, is all set to provide to the commuters the much-needed alternative to Salik toll road. It will connect Deira with the Oud Metha Road.
Situated just 500 metres south of the Al Maktoum Bridge, the Bridge is 300 metres long. It will end at the intersection to be built on Riyadh Street between Dubai Courts and Ras Al Khor Park.
The rolling segment of the bridge allows it to open and close at intervals, the report added.
'The Floating bridge is economical and provides a quick solution to traffic problems in Dubai. A new bridge would have taken three years for completion,' said chairman of the Board and Executive Director, RTA, Mattar Al Tayer is quoted to have said.
More Construction & Real Estate Stories
- Abu Dhabi set for big property show
- Aldar working on $1.5bn UAE housing projects
- Gulf Finance House to start $3bn Tunisia project
- Abu Dhabi to see 10pc surge in new homes
- Saudi construction sector booming on new contracts
- Emaar offers 330 apartments in MBR City
- Dubai Design District sees big demand
- HUGE DEAL: Arabtec inks $40bn Egypt housing project
- Galfar ex-CEO gets 15 years' jail over bribes
- $32m BFH car park work underway
- Bahrain awards $5.8m project tenders
- Spinneys to set up distribution centre at Kizad
- Dubai unveils $300m hitech 'green' city project
- Deyaar plans $245m Dubai complex
- IFA unveils $272m Dubai mixed-use project
- CBRE tops Fortune’s most admired firms list
- Kuwait's real estate sales hit $1.1bn in Jan
- Dubai RTA awards $27m roads contract
- Work to start on Bahrain beach project
- Damac launches luxury apartments at Expo site
- Kuwaitis top GCC property buyers in Oman
- Rubber World to showcase at Big 5 Saudi
- Tool to help create effective property listings
- 'Smart' move by Dubai Design District
- Drake unit wins $13m contract in India
- Solar-powered cleaning boats launched in Sharjah
- $27m Expo Hotel Sharjah deal signed
- Arabtec unit wins $282m Emaar contract
- Abu Dhabi to host pool & spa expo
- ADCM unit secures $213m bridging loan