TDIC to build $190m village for workers
Abu Dhabi, May 18, 2008
Tourism Development & Investment Company (TDIC), Abu Dhabi’s leading tourism asset developer, is to build a ‘Grade A’ accommodation village with a wide range of recreation facilities to house the construction workforce on Saadiyat Island.
The 27 sq km island offshore the UAE capital which is being transformed into a signature leisure, residential and cultural destination.
The Dh700 million ($190.5 million) Saadiyat Construction Village (SCV) has been masterplanned by Singapore’s award-winning Surbana Corporation Pte Ltd., which has 45 years of township planning and development experience. It has been designed to international standards for space, food preparation and laundry facilities. The village will house workers of TDIC contractors employed on Saadiyat Island.
Covering 40 hectares, the site is large enough to house a village for 20,000 workers but with enough room for expansion to accommodate 40,000 if required.
“By building this village, TDIC is fulfilling its commitment to ensuring best practice delivery across every element of its operations,” said Lee Tabler CEO of TDIC. “The company is also delivering on the promise of respect which is at the core of the Abu Dhabi brand.”
Based on the island’s south coast, the beachfront SCV, which will be in extensive landscaped surroundings with ample green space, will feature a cricket pitch, internet cafés, a cinema, table tennis, satellite TV and community notice boards.
The village housing is being erected in five clusters of 4,000 bed accommodation blocks with the first due for installation in September this year. Buildings have been designed with significant environmental considerations including the installation of an energy-efficient cooling system. - TradeArabia News Service
More Construction & Real Estate Stories
- Emaar rules out plans for new tall tower
- Barwa net profit surges 27.3pc
- RAK Properties adds new villas to Flamingo project
- Saudi launches housing scheme to ease shortage
- R&M wins Oman residential project contract
- Asian skyscraper prices tower over rest of the world
- Tamleek opens new office in Dubai
- $29m allocated for Bahrain drainage projects
- Indian group plans $300m Bahrain Bay investment
- Drake and Scull awards key supply contract
- FCC wins $702m Doha metro line contract
- SPF Realty sees Dubai project success
- Abu Dhabi set for big property show
- Aldar working on $1.5bn UAE housing projects
- Gulf Finance House to start $3bn Tunisia project
- Abu Dhabi to see 10pc surge in new homes
- Saudi construction sector booming on new contracts
- Emaar offers 330 apartments in MBR City
- Dubai Design District sees big demand
- HUGE DEAL: Arabtec inks $40bn Egypt housing project
- Galfar ex-CEO gets 15 years' jail over bribes
- $32m BFH car park work underway
- Bahrain awards $5.8m project tenders
- Spinneys to set up distribution centre at Kizad
- Dubai unveils $300m hitech 'green' city project
- Deyaar plans $245m Dubai complex
- IFA unveils $272m Dubai mixed-use project
- CBRE tops Fortune’s most admired firms list
- Kuwait's real estate sales hit $1.1bn in Jan
- Dubai RTA awards $27m roads contract