Adnec starts dredging 2.4km Marina Zone
Abu Dhabi, June 29, 2008
Abu Dhabi National Exhibitions Company (Adnec) has commenced the dredging of a striking 2.4km marina zone to enhance its state-of-the-art exhibition facilities.
The National Marine Dredging Company‘s 14,000HP heavy duty cutter suction dredger, Al Kattouf, currently located in the Adnec channel opposite the exhibition centre, will increase the channel depth to 6 metres to improve access by excavating approximately 1.5m m³ of seabed, said a company press release.
The dredging operations will provide safe access for vessels from the Al Bateen Channel to the new marina facilities.
The marina development will play an instrumental role in ensuring the proposed naval display at Idex 2009 is offered the ideal platform to showcase naval manoeuvres undertaken by defence support vessels including patrol boats, amphibious craft and helicopters.
The 2009 edition of Idex, which is poised to be the biggest-ever, will take place at the Adnec from February 22 to 26.
“We are very pleased that preparations for Idex 2009 are well on track at Adnec. The deepening of the water channel opposite the exhibition centre will enable a wider variety of naval craft to take part in the live demonstrations at next year’s Idex as compared to previous editions of the show,” said Mohamed Al Mashgouni, Idex 2009 director.
The first phase of the marina development will also feature a 250m quay wall, suitable for stern mooring of 20+ yachts, in time for the highly-anticipated Abu Dhabi Yacht Show in March 2009.
As part of the final phase of Abu Dhabi’s Dh8 billion ($2.3 billion) Capital Centre business and residential micro-city development, the new marina zone will be equipped to house super-yachts and marine exhibitions.
Already this show has attracted a number of leading megayacht shipyards and brokers keen to take advantage of this growing market in the gulf, proving the demand for marina exhibitions in the Middle East, said a top Adnec official.
"We are expanding and enhancing our exhibition capabilities to create the ultimate event destination for visitors, organisers and exhibitors worldwide. Abu Dhabi will play host to some of the world’s largest exhibitions catering to land and sea," commented Simon Horgan, Adnec CEO.
“The marina zone will compliment the existing exhibition centre (soon to be the largest in the Middle East), the 23 tower mix-use micro city and Capital Gate, our iconic Capital Gate feature tower. These elements combined will create an economic engine for the UAE Capital and will place Abu Dhabi firmly at the top of the global exhibition and event destination market.”
The marina zone will also encompass restaurants, retail outlets, entertainment facilities and low-rise residential offerings complete with scenic views of the canal.
The news of the marina development come on the heels of Adnec’s recent acquisition of ExCeL London, the UK capital’s largest exhibition venue and the launch of a brand new venue – the Al Ain Convention Centre, which will include a convention hotel, cultural centre and a residential and commercial district by 2011.
Details of the marina zone is currently being masterplanned and will be launched late 2008/early 2009.-TradeArabia News Service
More Construction & Real Estate Stories
- Abu Dhabi set for big property show
- Aldar working on $1.5bn UAE housing projects
- Gulf Finance House to start $3bn Tunisia project
- Abu Dhabi to see 10pc surge in new homes
- Saudi construction sector booming on new contracts
- Emaar offers 330 apartments in MBR City
- Dubai Design District sees big demand
- HUGE DEAL: Arabtec inks $40bn Egypt housing project
- Galfar ex-CEO gets 15 years' jail over bribes
- $32m BFH car park work underway
- Bahrain awards $5.8m project tenders
- Spinneys to set up distribution centre at Kizad
- Dubai unveils $300m hitech 'green' city project
- Deyaar plans $245m Dubai complex
- IFA unveils $272m Dubai mixed-use project
- CBRE tops Fortune’s most admired firms list
- Kuwait's real estate sales hit $1.1bn in Jan
- Dubai RTA awards $27m roads contract
- Work to start on Bahrain beach project
- Damac launches luxury apartments at Expo site
- Kuwaitis top GCC property buyers in Oman
- Rubber World to showcase at Big 5 Saudi
- Tool to help create effective property listings
- 'Smart' move by Dubai Design District
- Drake unit wins $13m contract in India
- Solar-powered cleaning boats launched in Sharjah
- $27m Expo Hotel Sharjah deal signed
- Arabtec unit wins $282m Emaar contract
- Abu Dhabi to host pool & spa expo
- ADCM unit secures $213m bridging loan