Arabtec to go ahead with Russia project
Dubai, September 3, 2009
Arabtec Holding will start construction on a Russian tower project in March if the deal is approved despite protests against the plans, its chief financial officer said in remarks published on Thursday.
The contract to build the headquarters for Gazprom Neft, the oil arm of Russian national gas company Gazprom, was now likely worth around 3 billion dirhams ($816.8 million) versus an initial 10 billion dirhams due to cost cutting, Ziad Makhzoumi was reported as saying in The National.
Arabtec won the contract to build the first stage of Okhta Centre, jointly owned by Gazprom Neft and the City of St Petersburg, in April 2008.
'We signed the contract a long time ago but there have been lots of changes,' Makhzoumi was quoted as saying. The contract includes the construction of five other buildings and leisure facilities, The National reported.
On Wednesday residents in St Petersburg clashed with police as they protested against the plans at a public hearing, The National reported.
A spokesman for Gazprom declined to comment immediately.-Reuters
More Construction & Real Estate Stories
- Emaar rules out plans for new tall tower
- Barwa net profit surges 27.3pc
- RAK Properties adds new villas to Flamingo project
- Saudi launches housing scheme to ease shortage
- R&M wins Oman residential project contract
- Asian skyscraper prices tower over rest of the world
- Tamleek opens new office in Dubai
- $29m allocated for Bahrain drainage projects
- Indian group plans $300m Bahrain Bay investment
- Drake and Scull awards key supply contract
- FCC wins $702m Doha metro line contract
- SPF Realty sees Dubai project success
- Abu Dhabi set for big property show
- Aldar working on $1.5bn UAE housing projects
- Gulf Finance House to start $3bn Tunisia project
- Abu Dhabi to see 10pc surge in new homes
- Saudi construction sector booming on new contracts
- Emaar offers 330 apartments in MBR City
- Dubai Design District sees big demand
- HUGE DEAL: Arabtec inks $40bn Egypt housing project
- Galfar ex-CEO gets 15 years' jail over bribes
- $32m BFH car park work underway
- Bahrain awards $5.8m project tenders
- Spinneys to set up distribution centre at Kizad
- Dubai unveils $300m hitech 'green' city project
- Deyaar plans $245m Dubai complex
- IFA unveils $272m Dubai mixed-use project
- CBRE tops Fortune’s most admired firms list
- Kuwait's real estate sales hit $1.1bn in Jan
- Dubai RTA awards $27m roads contract