Over 500 UAE building projects cut, on hold
Dubai, September 16, 2009
The United Arab Emirates' construction sector has been hardest hit by the downturn in the Gulf Arab region, with more than 500 projects on hold or cancelled, said a Dubai-based research firm on Wednesday.
With a total value of around $900 billion, 1,372 building projects are under construction or in bidding across the commercial, hospitality, residential and retail sectors in the UAE, and 566 projects have either been shelved or postponed, Proleads said said in a report.
Neighbouring Saudi Arabia has total projects worth more than $387 billion across the four sectors, with 442 in construction or bidding, and 106 cancelled or on hold, the report said.
In Kuwait, with total projects worth more than $114 billion, 90 are in construction or bidding and 18 cancelled or on hold.
Qatar has seven projects shelved or on hold and 124 are in construction or in bidding out of total projects worth more than $42 billion.
With total projects worth more than $38 billion in Oman, 95 are in construction or bidding with eight on hold. There are no cancellations, Proleads said.
Bahrain's total projects are valued at more than $36 billion with 148 in construction or bidding and 54 cancelled or on hold.
Proleads said in July over 400 projects worth more than $300 billion had been placed on hold or cancelled in the UAE.-Reuters
More Construction & Real Estate Stories
- Abu Dhabi set for big property show
- Aldar working on $1.5bn UAE housing projects
- Gulf Finance House to start $3bn Tunisia project
- Abu Dhabi to see 10pc surge in new homes
- Saudi construction sector booming on new contracts
- Emaar offers 330 apartments in MBR City
- Dubai Design District sees big demand
- HUGE DEAL: Arabtec inks $40bn Egypt housing project
- Galfar ex-CEO gets 15 years' jail over bribes
- $32m BFH car park work underway
- Bahrain awards $5.8m project tenders
- Spinneys to set up distribution centre at Kizad
- Dubai unveils $300m hitech 'green' city project
- Deyaar plans $245m Dubai complex
- IFA unveils $272m Dubai mixed-use project
- CBRE tops Fortune’s most admired firms list
- Kuwait's real estate sales hit $1.1bn in Jan
- Dubai RTA awards $27m roads contract
- Work to start on Bahrain beach project
- Damac launches luxury apartments at Expo site
- Kuwaitis top GCC property buyers in Oman
- Rubber World to showcase at Big 5 Saudi
- Tool to help create effective property listings
- 'Smart' move by Dubai Design District
- Drake unit wins $13m contract in India
- Solar-powered cleaning boats launched in Sharjah
- $27m Expo Hotel Sharjah deal signed
- Arabtec unit wins $282m Emaar contract
- Abu Dhabi to host pool & spa expo
- ADCM unit secures $213m bridging loan