Dubai Properties chairman 'arrested'
Dubai, October 31, 2009
The chairman of Dubai Properties has been arrested on suspicion of embezzlement at the company, according to a published report.
Hashim Al Dabal is accused of abusing his position and earning millions in illegal profit, Dubai's attorney general Essam Essa Al-Humaidan was quoted as saying by Arabian Business.
Dubai last year began an investigation into corruption in real estate companies, which benefited from surging demand after foreigners were allowed to buy property.
Al Dabal was arrested about 10 days ago, the attorney general said. Dubai Properties is a unit of Dubai Holding.
The company has confirmed the appointment of an acting replacement, Ahmad bin Byat.
More Construction & Real Estate Stories
- Depa names new board directors
- Work to start on new Bahrain social centre
- Indian developer to open Dubai office
- 50 firms to showcase at Cityscape Riyadh
- Kaloti breaks ground on Dubai gold refinery
- New power station for Bahrain hospital
- Al Hamra Village wins top mixed-use award
- Schön sees business park project on track
- Kuwaiti developer starts Dubai tower work
- Asteco appointed agent for Dubai tower