Abu Dhabi move to boost Aldar Properties
Abu Dhabi, December 9, 2010
Abu Dhabi bank deposits jumped this quarter, with most of the new cash coming from Abu Dhabi's government, prompting speculation that it may be creating a rescue fund for struggling developer Aldar Properties.
Bankers and analysts said yesterday the sudden rise in deposits may signal an imminent move by the government, which owns a 25.4 per cent stake in Aldar and lent the builder a hand in March, according to a report in our sister newspaper Gulf Daily News (GDN).
Shares in Aldar rose 5 per cent to a five-week high of 2.51 dirhams on talk the government support may be coming soon.
'From a shortfall in deposits compared to loans to a surplus now, it is a fact that the majority of the money came from the government,' a senior Abu Dhabi banker said.
'It could be a funding package for Aldar.'
Aldar said in November it was in the final stages of talks with the government over its cash needs and its chief financial officer said the framework for a cash deal is expected to be completed by the end of the year.
More Construction & Real Estate Stories
- FCC wins $702m Doha metro line contract
- SPF Realty sees Dubai project success
- Abu Dhabi set for big property show
- Aldar working on $1.5bn UAE housing projects
- Gulf Finance House to start $3bn Tunisia project
- Abu Dhabi to see 10pc surge in new homes
- Saudi construction sector booming on new contracts
- Emaar offers 330 apartments in MBR City
- Dubai Design District sees big demand
- HUGE DEAL: Arabtec inks $40bn Egypt housing project
- Galfar ex-CEO gets 15 years' jail over bribes
- $32m BFH car park work underway
- Bahrain awards $5.8m project tenders
- Spinneys to set up distribution centre at Kizad
- Dubai unveils $300m hitech 'green' city project
- Deyaar plans $245m Dubai complex
- IFA unveils $272m Dubai mixed-use project
- CBRE tops Fortune’s most admired firms list
- Kuwait's real estate sales hit $1.1bn in Jan
- Dubai RTA awards $27m roads contract
- Work to start on Bahrain beach project
- Damac launches luxury apartments at Expo site
- Kuwaitis top GCC property buyers in Oman
- Rubber World to showcase at Big 5 Saudi
- Tool to help create effective property listings
- 'Smart' move by Dubai Design District
- Drake unit wins $13m contract in India
- Solar-powered cleaning boats launched in Sharjah
- $27m Expo Hotel Sharjah deal signed
- Arabtec unit wins $282m Emaar contract