Aldar swings to Q1 profit on asset sales
Abu Dhabi, May 7, 2011
Aldar Properties, the struggling developer rescued by a $5.2 billion bailout by Abu Dhabi last quarter, returned to profit, after it booked sales of assets, including the Ferrari World theme park.
The builder of the Yas Marina Formula One circuit posted a first-quarter net profit of Dh189.1 million ($51.5 million) compared with a loss of 314.2 million in the same period last year, it said in an email statement.
Revenue jumped to Dh784.7 million from Dh227 million a year earlier, it said.
Shares of Aldar closed 2.5 percent lower on the Abu Dhabi bourse before the results were announced.
The developer, which ended a five-quarter losing streak, said it booked the sale of Ferrari World Abu Dhabi and related assets to the government of Abu Dhabi in the quarter.
It also issued planned mandatory convertible bonds of Dh2.8 billion in March to state-owned investment vehicle Mubadala.
Revenues also came from the sale of completed properties in Al Gurm and Al Bandar residential communities and from the performance of operational assets including the seven Yas Island hotels in Abu Dhabi.
The company ended the quarter with Dh6.2 billion in cash and bank balances.
Aldar's chief executive had said last month that he did not foresee any further impairments on its property portfolio in the near future, and will return to profit in 2011.
The developer's fourth-quarter loss amounted to Dh11.14 billion.-Reuters
More Construction & Real Estate Stories
- Emaar rules out plans for new tall tower
- Barwa net profit surges 27.3pc
- RAK Properties adds new villas to Flamingo project
- Saudi launches housing scheme to ease shortage
- R&M wins Oman residential project contract
- Asian skyscraper prices tower over rest of the world
- Tamleek opens new office in Dubai
- $29m allocated for Bahrain drainage projects
- Indian group plans $300m Bahrain Bay investment
- Drake and Scull awards key supply contract
- FCC wins $702m Doha metro line contract
- SPF Realty sees Dubai project success
- Abu Dhabi set for big property show
- Aldar working on $1.5bn UAE housing projects
- Gulf Finance House to start $3bn Tunisia project
- Abu Dhabi to see 10pc surge in new homes
- Saudi construction sector booming on new contracts
- Emaar offers 330 apartments in MBR City
- Dubai Design District sees big demand
- HUGE DEAL: Arabtec inks $40bn Egypt housing project
- Galfar ex-CEO gets 15 years' jail over bribes
- $32m BFH car park work underway
- Bahrain awards $5.8m project tenders
- Spinneys to set up distribution centre at Kizad
- Dubai unveils $300m hitech 'green' city project
- Deyaar plans $245m Dubai complex
- IFA unveils $272m Dubai mixed-use project
- CBRE tops Fortune’s most admired firms list
- Kuwait's real estate sales hit $1.1bn in Jan
- Dubai RTA awards $27m roads contract