Capital Gate receives top awards
Abu Dhabi, September 29, 2011
Capital Gate, Abu Dhabi’s record-breaking leaning tower, has been named the 'Best Overall Project of the Year 2011' and the 'Best Commercial/ Mixed Use Project' at the Cityscape Global Awards for Architecture in Emerging Markets.
The awards were presented on September 27, at the Madinat Jumeirah Hotel in Dubai.
The iconic 35-storey, 160m Capital Gate tower - built to lean 18 degrees westwards, is owned and developed by Adnec (Abu Dhabi National Exhibitions Company) and designed by global architecture firm, RMJM.
It forms the focal point of Adnec’s capital centre master-planned development in Abu Dhabi, the capital of the United Arab Emirates.
“Capital Gate is an icon for Abu Dhabi. The global acclaim the project continues to attract pays tribute to the team work and outstanding commitment of all those involved in making this visionary project a reality,” said Ali Saeed Bin Harmal Al Dhaheri, Adnec’s managing director.
The Cityscape awards follow a string of other accolades for Capital Gate including the Guinness World Record for ‘furthest leaning manmade tower’.
“RMJM is delighted to receive these awards for the Capital Gate tower project. In close collaboration with Adnec, our team at RMJM Middle East has provided comprehensive design, engineering and supervision services to deliver a truly unique, innovative and iconic development,” Jones said.
The tower’s status as one of the world’s most complex architectural and engineering projects has also been endorsed via features on Discovery Channel and the exclusive ‘Megastructures’ documentary on National Geographic Channel.
Jonathan Knight, RMJM Middle East design principal, said: “Capital Gate is an excellent example of RMJM’s design and in-house engineering capabilities and we are honoured that it has won a Cityscape award. The complex tower provides Abu Dhabi with a signature building that highlights the city’s growth and progression.”
Capital Gate houses the soon to be opened, five-star Hyatt Capital Gate hotel, as well as approximately 15,000m of high quality office space.
The hotel will offer upscale business travellers a unique experience with its luxurious rooms, contemporary interiors, innovative dining outlets and impeccable service.
Capital Gate’s steel and glass façade provides a unique presence on the Abu Dhabi skyline with its 18 degree lean, four times that of the Leaning Tower of Pisa. – TradeArabia News Service
More Construction & Real Estate Stories
- Work to start on Bahrain beach project
- Damac launches luxury apartments at Expo site
- Kuwaitis top GCC property buyers in Oman
- Rubber World to showcase at Big 5 Saudi
- Tool to help create effective property listings
- 'Smart' move by Dubai Design District
- Drake unit wins $13m contract in India
- Solar-powered cleaning boats launched in Sharjah
- $27m Expo Hotel Sharjah deal signed
- Arabtec unit wins $282m Emaar contract
- Abu Dhabi to host pool & spa expo
- ADCM unit secures $213m bridging loan
- Cluttons Dubai launches new luxury apartments
- Dubai developer Damac profits triple to $641m
- Dubai to start work on $544m water canal
- Dubai property market can absorb 25,000 units
- Jones Lang LaSalle renamed 'JLL'
- Aldar raises synergy estimate from Sorouh merger
- UAE industrial property sector keeps up growth
- Dubai residential property prices up 26pc
- Majid Al Futtaim to build new mall in Dubai IMPZ
- 300 firms to take part in Dubai property forum
- Naseej inks deal to develop Bahrain projects
- Dadabhai unveils new residential project
- Flowcrete completes Dubai Mall project
- Global asphalt demand hits new high
- $1.3bn infrastructure investment firm set up in Saudi
- Manara sees big project villa success
- Global giants eye RAK utility projects
- Cayan partners with international artist Zsuzsanna