50-year-old hospital rebuild planned
Manama, December 14, 2011
The 50-year-old Muharraq Maternity Hospital (Areef), Bahrain's oldest maternity hospital, must be rebuilt as soon as possible, said MPs, adding that Muharraq residents had no alternative hospital at the moment.
Health Ministry training and planning assistant under-secretary Hassan Jaber said the required technical and medical study had been completed by the ministry.
He said the issue had since been referred to the Works Ministry to prepare the designs.
"We expect the hospital to cost BD8 million ($21.12 million) and we may either have it done through an urgent budget from the Finance Ministry or listed under the national budget for 2013-2014," he said.
Minister of State for Shura Council and Parliament Affairs Abdulaziz Al Fadhel said Muharraq residents would be accommodated through a special maternity ward at the King Hamad University Hospital during reconstruction work.
"The ward will continue working even when the new Areef hospital gets reopened."
However, parliament chairman Khalifa Al Dhahrani said it could take up to 10 years before it gets rebuilt. – TradeArabia News Service
More Construction & Real Estate Stories
- Work to start on Bahrain beach project
- Damac launches luxury apartments at Expo site
- Kuwaitis top GCC property buyers in Oman
- Rubber World to showcase at Big 5 Saudi
- Tool to help create effective property listings
- 'Smart' move by Dubai Design District
- Drake unit wins $13m contract in India
- Solar-powered cleaning boats launched in Sharjah
- $27m Expo Hotel Sharjah deal signed
- Arabtec unit wins $282m Emaar contract
- Abu Dhabi to host pool & spa expo
- ADCM unit secures $213m bridging loan
- Cluttons Dubai launches new luxury apartments
- Dubai developer Damac profits triple to $641m
- Dubai to start work on $544m water canal
- Dubai property market can absorb 25,000 units
- Jones Lang LaSalle renamed 'JLL'
- Aldar raises synergy estimate from Sorouh merger
- UAE industrial property sector keeps up growth
- Dubai residential property prices up 26pc
- Majid Al Futtaim to build new mall in Dubai IMPZ
- 300 firms to take part in Dubai property forum
- Naseej inks deal to develop Bahrain projects
- Dadabhai unveils new residential project
- Flowcrete completes Dubai Mall project
- Global asphalt demand hits new high
- $1.3bn infrastructure investment firm set up in Saudi
- Manara sees big project villa success
- Global giants eye RAK utility projects
- Cayan partners with international artist Zsuzsanna