Oman convention centre to be ready by 2014
Muscat, February 6, 2012
The Oman Convention and Exhibition Centre, which is being built in Muscat, is expected to open for business in 2014.
While the state-owned Oman Tourism Development Company (Omran) is developing the centre, it will be operated by AEG Ogden, which is taking initiatives to market the venue among top organisers of international events, said a report.
Meanwhile, tenders have been issued for the construction of centre, following the completion of site preparation.
AEG Ogden, a global player that manages 17 convention centres, stadiums and theatres in the Asia-Pacific and Mena (Middle East and North African) region, believes that Oman has several competitive advantages over its regional peers in attracting exhibitions and conventions of international stature, which will have a rippling effect on the entire economy.
Rochelle Uechtritz, group manager, convention sales development of AEG Ogden, was quoted by Times of Oman as saying Oman has an appeal of an attractive destination and since the convention centre will have 1,000 hotel rooms, there will not be any dearth of accommodation facilities for delegates.
Uechtritz said the convention centre will have an exhibition hall with an area of 22,000 sq m, parking facility for 4,000 vehicles, 1,000 hotel rooms spread over four hotels, a major auditorium with a capacity to accommodate 3,200 people, two banquet halls, a shopping mall and a business park.
More Construction & Real Estate Stories
- Spinneys to set up distribution centre at Kizad
- Dubai unveils $300m hitech 'green' city project
- Deyaar plans $245m Dubai complex
- IFA unveils $272m Dubai mixed-use project
- CBRE tops Fortune’s most admired firms list
- Kuwait's real estate sales hit $1.1bn in Jan
- Dubai RTA awards $27m roads contract
- Work to start on Bahrain beach project
- Damac launches luxury apartments at Expo site
- Kuwaitis top GCC property buyers in Oman
- Rubber World to showcase at Big 5 Saudi
- Tool to help create effective property listings
- 'Smart' move by Dubai Design District
- Drake unit wins $13m contract in India
- Solar-powered cleaning boats launched in Sharjah
- $27m Expo Hotel Sharjah deal signed
- Arabtec unit wins $282m Emaar contract
- Abu Dhabi to host pool & spa expo
- ADCM unit secures $213m bridging loan
- Cluttons Dubai launches new luxury apartments
- Dubai developer Damac profits triple to $641m
- Dubai to start work on $544m water canal
- Dubai property market can absorb 25,000 units
- Jones Lang LaSalle renamed 'JLL'
- Aldar raises synergy estimate from Sorouh merger
- UAE industrial property sector keeps up growth
- Dubai residential property prices up 26pc
- Majid Al Futtaim to build new mall in Dubai IMPZ
- 300 firms to take part in Dubai property forum
- Naseej inks deal to develop Bahrain projects