Atkins completes Salalah medical city design
Muscat, February 15, 2012
The master plan of The Medical City (TMC) in Salalah, Oman, has been completed by Atkins, one of the world’s largest design and engineering consultancies.
The aim of this integrated healthcare infrastructure development project is to make the most of Salalah’s natural beauty and serene environment to ensure TMC becomes a preferred destination of rehabilitation and medical tourism, said a statement.
Dr Abdulla Aljoaib, president of Apex Medical Group, said Atkins’ task was to prepare the overall strategic master plan of TMC on the 800,000 sq m site, located by the Arabian Sea, in order to deliver a vision for a destination that will:
• Create a sense of place that is defined by the phrase ”World-Class Medical City”;
• Create a world-class medical education and research and development facility in partnership with internationally known and recognized institutions; and
• Create a cohesive and carefully planned sustainable urban environment, offering distinct character and a high quality of life for its residents as well as the opportunity to attract and promote investment, generate jobs and strengthen the city’s economy.
The Transplant Hospital will be the heart of the city, providing patients with the most advanced methods of healthcare, the statement said.
The project, being undertaken by the Apex Medical Group, represents the largest private healthcare infrastructure development opportunity in Oman. With a spectacular location and intelligent design, the medical city is poised to become the centerpiece of healthcare tourism benefitting local, regional and international healthcare patients alike, said the statement.
Surrounding the hospital will be a number of facilities including a high-end hotel, spa, educational and training facilities for doctors and nurses and a well-being centre, alongside accommodation, commercial and service facilities for visitors and residents.
Atkins’ design concept combines traditional Omani vernacular with contemporary design. The sustainability goals for TMC have been drawn from the ‘One Planet Living’ program, which is internationally recognized as a framework for addressing sustainability in development projects, it said.
Ray Phillips, Atkins’ design director for the project, said: “This is an important and exciting project for the region which will create world class medical facilities in an environment which supports and promotes rehabilitation and healthy living.”
Dr Abdulla Al Joaib, the founder and president of Apex Medical Group and president of Al Joaib Holding, and Dr Mohammad Al Sofayan, deputy chairman of the Liver Transplantation Department in KFSH, Saudi Arabia, are the promoters behind the project. – TradeArabia News Service
More Construction & Real Estate Stories
- Depa names new board directors
- Work to start on new Bahrain social centre
- Indian developer to open Dubai office
- 50 firms to showcase at Cityscape Riyadh
- Kaloti breaks ground on Dubai gold refinery
- New power station for Bahrain hospital
- Al Hamra Village wins top mixed-use award
- Schön sees business park project on track
- Kuwaiti developer starts Dubai tower work
- Asteco appointed agent for Dubai tower