$260m Bahrain causeway ahead of schedule
Manama, March 25, 2012
One of Bahrain’s biggest infrastructure projects, the BD98 million ($260 million) North Manama Causeway, is set to be finished ahead of its deadline of July next year, said officials.
Part of it could open for traffic in the next few months, they added.
The causeway includes upgrading the junctions that connect the Al Fateh Highway to the King Faisal Highway and the Shaikh Hamad Causeway.
It also features the construction of an elevated 1.42km long segmental flyover with dual carriageway on both directions.
The project should be ready by the first half of next year before its July deadline, said Works Minister Essam Khalaf.
'All indications are that the project will finish before time,' said Khalaf. 'At the rate at which it is going, a part of it could be open for traffic in the next few months.'
Traffic movement is being improved on the highways through reconstruction of 1.6km of roads along the Al Fateh Highway, Shaikh Hamad Causeway and King Faisal Highway.
Work is also underway on new traffic lights to be placed between the junctions.
Khalaf said the project has both short-term and long-term goals.
'The short-term goal falls within the ministry's strategic roads master plan and aims to ease traffic movement along Al Fateh Highway at its intersections with King Faisal Highway and Shaikh Hamad Causeway, and provide access to the Bahrain Bay and Bahrain Financial Harbour,' he said.
'The long-term goals fall within the Bahrain Vision 2030 where the new flyover and roads act as an integral part of the planned highway network connecting Al Fateh Highway with the fourth crossing between Manama and Busaiteen.'
The major project includes the construction of new 2.4km of roads along Al Fateh Highway and the eastern and northern sides of the Bahrain Bay.
It also features a new 238m long curved left turn flyover with a two-lane single carriageway, heading towards the bay from the causeway.
A new 51.4m long single span bridge with a three-lane dual carriageway across an architectural canal along the northern side of the bay is also underway. Work was temporarily stalled for a few days in March last year as a result of the unrest.
Belgium's Six Construct and Bahrain's Haji Hassan Group are involved in the construction of the project. – TradeArabia News Service