Hyder wins big Qatar reservoirs project
Doha, April 9, 2012
Qatar General Electricity and Water Corporation (Kahramaa) has signed up leading engineering company Hyder Consulting to provide engineering and environmental consultancy services for a major reservoirs project in Doha.
The Water Security Mega Reservoirs project entails construction of five mega-reservoir sites and some 200 km of large diameter ring mains, said a statement from Hyder.
The scope of services includes pre-design studies, preliminary design, detailed design, tender procurement and construction supervision, it stated.
According to Hyder, each reservoir site will ultimately comprise up to ten reservoir modules, each of which may be the largest of their type in the world.
The reservoirs and pipeline network, with associated pumping stations, will provide up to 15 million cu m of strategic potable water storage, said the engineering giant in its statement.
The project will deliver thirty-one 73 million gallon reservoirs, whereas the current largest reservoir in the world holds 40 million gallons, it added.
The project is in response to the huge increase in water demand in Qatar as it undergoes an infrastructure and development transformation. The project is due to be completed by early 2016.
Hyder has a history of over 100 years in the Middle East. Originally as John Taylor & Sons, the company was invited to provide advice on Aden’s water supplies in 1904, said Hyder in its statement.
The company has also been involved in the planning and development of Doha South sewage treatment works for Ashghal Public Works Authority since the early 1960s, it added.-TradeArabia News Service
More Construction & Real Estate Stories
- Abu Dhabi set for big property show
- Aldar working on $1.5bn UAE housing projects
- Gulf Finance House to start $3bn Tunisia project
- Abu Dhabi to see 10pc surge in new homes
- Saudi construction sector booming on new contracts
- Emaar offers 330 apartments in MBR City
- Dubai Design District sees big demand
- HUGE DEAL: Arabtec inks $40bn Egypt housing project
- Galfar ex-CEO gets 15 years' jail over bribes
- $32m BFH car park work underway
- Bahrain awards $5.8m project tenders
- Spinneys to set up distribution centre at Kizad
- Dubai unveils $300m hitech 'green' city project
- Deyaar plans $245m Dubai complex
- IFA unveils $272m Dubai mixed-use project
- CBRE tops Fortune’s most admired firms list
- Kuwait's real estate sales hit $1.1bn in Jan
- Dubai RTA awards $27m roads contract
- Work to start on Bahrain beach project
- Damac launches luxury apartments at Expo site
- Kuwaitis top GCC property buyers in Oman
- Rubber World to showcase at Big 5 Saudi
- Tool to help create effective property listings
- 'Smart' move by Dubai Design District
- Drake unit wins $13m contract in India
- Solar-powered cleaning boats launched in Sharjah
- $27m Expo Hotel Sharjah deal signed
- Arabtec unit wins $282m Emaar contract
- Abu Dhabi to host pool & spa expo
- ADCM unit secures $213m bridging loan