Saudi prince sues Los Angeles on mansion plans
Los Angeles, May 23, 2012
A Saudi prince seeking to build a sprawling mansion in the famous 90210 zip code in the mountains above Beverly Hills, a project that has drawn opposition from neighbours, has sued the city of Los Angeles to hasten its construction.
A land development company belonging to Prince Abdul Aziz, the third son of Saudi King Abdullah and the kingdom's deputy foreign minister, said in a lawsuit that California neighbours who oppose the project had pressured the city into requiring an environmental impact study.
In a lawsuit filed in Los Angeles Superior Court on Friday, the prince's company, Tower Lane Properties, said such a review was unnecessary.
"Petitioner carefully designed the project to minimise impacts on the environment and the surrounding area," it reads, adding that it "requires no discretionary approvals."
Prince Abdul Aziz purchased the land in 2009 and applied for permits to build three residences on the five-acre property. The city has so far not issued the necessary building permits, leaving the project in limbo.
Neighbours in the posh Benedict Canyon community went into an uproar over the initial proposed 85,000 sq ft compound, with an opposition group called the Save Benedict Canyon Campaign formed to halt the prince's plans.
In response to the opposition, a scaled-back construction plan totaling roughly 60,000 sq ft was presented in 2010, the lawsuit said. Nonetheless, tension between the community and the developers is still intense.
The Save Benedict Canyon campaign says the scale of the construction is "like building a Walmart in our neighborhood," and that the construction crews needed for the project will overwhelm local streets with dirt, industrial equipment, and noise pollution.
Yet the project's lawyer, Benjamin Reznik, wrote in November 2011 that similarly sized houses upwards of 52,000 sq ft have been built in the neighborhood without any additional review, and the prince's proposal is not even the largest residential project in the area.
The city's planning department was inexplicably and erroneously demanding the project undergo "additional, unnecessary and inapplicable steps in the plan check review process, before the project is cleared for construction," he wrote, calling the treatment of the Saudi prince "unfair."
Reznik said he expected a hearing on the matter in the coming months but would not comment on the litigation.
Should the luxury property eventually be given the green light, Prince Abdul Aziz could count among his neighbors David and Victoria Beckham and Bruce Springsteen. - Reuters
More Construction & Real Estate Stories
- Emaar rules out plans for new tall tower
- Barwa net profit surges 27.3pc
- RAK Properties adds new villas to Flamingo project
- Saudi launches housing scheme to ease shortage
- R&M wins Oman residential project contract
- Asian skyscraper prices tower over rest of the world
- Tamleek opens new office in Dubai
- $29m allocated for Bahrain drainage projects
- Indian group plans $300m Bahrain Bay investment
- Drake and Scull awards key supply contract
- FCC wins $702m Doha metro line contract
- SPF Realty sees Dubai project success
- Abu Dhabi set for big property show
- Aldar working on $1.5bn UAE housing projects
- Gulf Finance House to start $3bn Tunisia project
- Abu Dhabi to see 10pc surge in new homes
- Saudi construction sector booming on new contracts
- Emaar offers 330 apartments in MBR City
- Dubai Design District sees big demand
- HUGE DEAL: Arabtec inks $40bn Egypt housing project
- Galfar ex-CEO gets 15 years' jail over bribes
- $32m BFH car park work underway
- Bahrain awards $5.8m project tenders
- Spinneys to set up distribution centre at Kizad
- Dubai unveils $300m hitech 'green' city project
- Deyaar plans $245m Dubai complex
- IFA unveils $272m Dubai mixed-use project
- CBRE tops Fortune’s most admired firms list
- Kuwait's real estate sales hit $1.1bn in Jan
- Dubai RTA awards $27m roads contract