Oman may issue fresh rail project tenders
Muscat, September 11, 2012
Oman Ministry of Transport and Communications is set to float fresh tenders for the appointment of a consultant to undertake the ‘preliminary design’ of the Sultanate’s multi-billion dollar national railway project, said a report.
The first phase of the rail network, covering 1,061-km, is expected to be completed by the end of 2018 in line with a target set by the other GCC states in this regard.
Besides the design tender, two other tenders - one for ‘detailed design and build’, and the other for ‘project management consultancy and supervision services’ will be floated, the Oman Daily Observer reported, citing a ministry official.
This was disclosed at the opening session of the Oman Transport Infrastructure Summit organised by Global Exhibitions & Conferences (GEC), it stated.
Salim bin Said al Amri, Deputy Director General of Roads and Head of the Railway Team at the Ministry, said the design package will be retendered in accordance with the directives of the Tender Board, said the report.
On the project timeframe, Al Amri said: “We are aiming for the completion of the design by end of 2014, and the construction phase to start in the third quarter of 2014. We hope to complete the phase 1 (roughly 1,061 km) by 2018 end.”
"The double-track network will be designed for both passenger and freight transportation, although freight movement will be prioritised in the initial phases of the project," he added.
More Construction & Real Estate Stories
- New Tekla software accelerates information flow
- Damac unveils first Trump Estates in ME
- GFH in key London property placement
- Green Valley unveils new UAE, Turkey projects
- Jotun colour collection tracks new trends
- RAK Properties to distribute $27.2m profit
- Top construction firms head to Bahrain
- Investors pull out of $65m Bahrain project
- Projects stalled in Bahrain due to 'mismanagement'
- Emaar rules out plans for new tall tower
- Barwa net profit surges 27.3pc
- RAK Properties adds new villas to Flamingo project
- Saudi launches housing scheme to ease shortage
- R&M wins Oman residential project contract
- Asian skyscraper prices tower over rest of the world
- Tamleek opens new office in Dubai
- $29m allocated for Bahrain drainage projects
- Indian group plans $300m Bahrain Bay investment
- Drake and Scull awards key supply contract
- FCC wins $702m Doha metro line contract
- SPF Realty sees Dubai project success
- Abu Dhabi set for big property show
- Aldar working on $1.5bn UAE housing projects
- Gulf Finance House to start $3bn Tunisia project
- Abu Dhabi to see 10pc surge in new homes
- Saudi construction sector booming on new contracts
- Emaar offers 330 apartments in MBR City
- Dubai Design District sees big demand
- HUGE DEAL: Arabtec inks $40bn Egypt housing project
- Galfar ex-CEO gets 15 years' jail over bribes