Doha Metro logistics contract award by Dec
Doha, September 18, 2012
The Qatar Railway Company is likely to award the contract for the logisitcs co-ordinator of the 212 km Metro network by December this year, an official was quoted as saying.
The company will adopt the “best logistics practices” to make the construction of the Qatar rail project hassle-free to s residents, Ghanim Hassan al-Ibrahim, chief programme officer of the project, was quoted by Gulf Times as saying.
He was making a presentation on the multi-billion dollar rail project, the first phase of which is expected to be completed by October 2019, at the Construction Leaders Forum Qatar.
Al-Ibrahim said with a veiw to reducing pressure on roads, the use of a conveyor belts is being considered.
According to him, the Qatar Rail project comprises three different programmes, including the long-distance train service of 490km, which will be utilised for passengers and freight services. This network, that will also have nine stations and six terminals, will be connected to a GCC rail network.
The detailed designs will be announced soon, he said. The project is expected to be completed by 2018-19.
The company also plans to build a 50km of Light Rail Network.
He explained that the first phase of the metro network would be 127km long with three lines of red, green and gold and 47 stations; it would contain up to 30 per cent underground tunnel.
More Construction & Real Estate Stories
- Plaza Premium wins Abu Dhabi Airports contract
- Engineering experts attend Autodesk conference
- Dubai $114m freehold property in big demand
- Heavy Equipment enters Qatar market
- Bahrain market to get $15.8m facelift
- Jacky’s unveils new 3D printers
- Technip wins $400m Kuwait PMC contract
- Arab investors eyeing Turkish property
- Arabtec denies Drake merger speculation
- Saudi's ACWA signs $472m sukuk financing