Abu Dhabi invests $5.4bn in labour cities
Abu Dhabi, December 31, 2012
Abu Dhabi has invested Dh20 billion ($5.4 billion) for the development of 23 labour cities, that will boast new, high-quality apartments, in bid to improve the workers' living standards, said a report.
The land for the labour cities was set aside in 2005 in industrial zones of Abu Dhabi and Al Ain, reported The National.
The new cities will offer sports and social activities, parks, markets, mosques, cinemas, internet facilities and cable television for the workers.
They also have health clinics and hospitals, supervised hygiene and food services and security, the report said.
Mubarak Saeed Al Dhahiri, the undersecretary at the Ministry of Labour, said "operation village" would improve the quality of labour accommodations in Al Ain. There are about 160,000 labourers in the Al Ain region.
The workers' city in Al Ain opened in May and accommodates 5,690 residents but could eventually be increased to house more than 10,000. Thousands of labourers will move into these quality apartments next year, the report quoted him as saying.
Abu Dhabi requires workers to be accommodated off-site, rather than on construction sites or in other crowded places with unsanitary conditions, the report added.
More Construction & Real Estate Stories
- Abu Dhabi set for big property show
- Aldar working on $1.5bn UAE housing projects
- Gulf Finance House to start $3bn Tunisia project
- Abu Dhabi to see 10pc surge in new homes
- Saudi construction sector booming on new contracts
- Emaar offers 330 apartments in MBR City
- Dubai Design District sees big demand
- HUGE DEAL: Arabtec inks $40bn Egypt housing project
- Galfar ex-CEO gets 15 years' jail over bribes
- $32m BFH car park work underway
- Bahrain awards $5.8m project tenders
- Spinneys to set up distribution centre at Kizad
- Dubai unveils $300m hitech 'green' city project
- Deyaar plans $245m Dubai complex
- IFA unveils $272m Dubai mixed-use project
- CBRE tops Fortune’s most admired firms list
- Kuwait's real estate sales hit $1.1bn in Jan
- Dubai RTA awards $27m roads contract
- Work to start on Bahrain beach project
- Damac launches luxury apartments at Expo site
- Kuwaitis top GCC property buyers in Oman
- Rubber World to showcase at Big 5 Saudi
- Tool to help create effective property listings
- 'Smart' move by Dubai Design District
- Drake unit wins $13m contract in India
- Solar-powered cleaning boats launched in Sharjah
- $27m Expo Hotel Sharjah deal signed
- Arabtec unit wins $282m Emaar contract
- Abu Dhabi to host pool & spa expo
- ADCM unit secures $213m bridging loan