Hutchinson wins $130m Oman port contract
Muscat, January 19, 2013
Oman has awarded Hong Kong's Hutchinson Whampoa a RO50 million ($130 million) contract to build and operate a port terminal in the northern industrial city of Sohar, a statement from Port of Sohar said on Saturday.
"The new terminal will double the port's capacity to 1.5 million (twenty-foot equivalent units) TEU from the current 800,000 TEU. Hutchinson Whampoa will also manage the terminal after completion of the terminal," the statement said.
The terminal, to occupy about 70 hectares of land, is expected to be completed by the end of this year.
Sohar is home to major industries including a 120,000 barrels per day refinery, an aluminium smelter, a free zone and a steel pelletising plant.
Oman's three other ports are in the capital Muscat, Salalah in the south and in the central town of Duqm.-Reuters
More Construction & Real Estate Stories
- Dubai Industrial City inks infrastructure contract
- UDC to take part in Cityscape Qatar
- UDC unit to showcase at Cityscape Qatar
- Bahrain mulls disabled-friendly buildings
- Damac launches waterfront luxury project
- Ebrahim Kanoo buys key plots at Manara project
- Arabtec wins $108m Saudi hospital contract
- Bahrain awards $16m road projects
- UAE office fitouts shifting to modular layouts
- Bahrain set to revamp fish market