Bids invited for Zayed Museum
Abu Dhabi, March 3, 2013
Abu Dhabi’s Tourism Development and Investment Company (TDIC) has invited prequalification bids for the main contract works on its prestigious Zayed National Museum project.
The museum project, the centrepiece of the Saadiyat Cultural District, will serve as a monument and memorial to the UAE’s founding President Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan. It will have a built-up area of 66,198 sq m.
The long-awaited contract involves works on the concrete superstructure, structural steelwork, feature cladding to the wing-shaped aspects of the external facade, vertical transportation and specialist security installation. Additionally, it includes electrical, plumbing and mechanical (MEP) works and fit-out and external works.
Prequalification bids are due to be submitted by March 21.
Companies or consortia seeking to be prequalified for the project need to have a successful track record in relevant construction projects, recent experience in projects of similar size and complexity and have completed three projects each worth more than Dh1 billion ($272 million) in the last five years, said a notification.
Designed by the leading UK-based architectural firm Foster + Partners, the museum’s architecture will combine a highly efficient and contemporary form with elements of traditional Arabic design and hospitality. Cutting-edge design, materials and construction methods will go into creating this spectacular monument that has been inspired by the dynamic of flight and the feathers of a falcon.
Each steel feather - the tallest of which rises 125 m - will contain a gallery space where visitors can explore the history and culture of the UAE. The building will be surrounded by water and set within landscaped gardens. The museum will feature seven permanent gallery displays as well as a dynamic special exhibition programme in which visitors can explore the long history, heritage and culture of the UAE and its place in the world.
TDIC is a master-developer of major cultural, residential and tourism destinations in Abu Dhabi.
Located 500 m from the UAE capital, Saadiyat Island is one of TDIC’s flagship developments covering 27 sq km. When completed in phases by 2020, the island will become a premier destination providing leisure and tourism facilities, as well as civic and cultural institutions to its estimated 160,000 residents. Saadiyat Island Cultural District will be home to the world’s largest concentration of cultural institutions in the world and will also include the Louvre Abu Dhabi and the Guggenheim Abu Dhabi museums. – TradeArabia News Service
More Construction & Real Estate Stories
- Emaar rules out plans for new tall tower
- Barwa net profit surges 27.3pc
- RAK Properties adds new villas to Flamingo project
- Saudi launches housing scheme to ease shortage
- R&M wins Oman residential project contract
- Asian skyscraper prices tower over rest of the world
- Tamleek opens new office in Dubai
- $29m allocated for Bahrain drainage projects
- Indian group plans $300m Bahrain Bay investment
- Drake and Scull awards key supply contract
- FCC wins $702m Doha metro line contract
- SPF Realty sees Dubai project success
- Abu Dhabi set for big property show
- Aldar working on $1.5bn UAE housing projects
- Gulf Finance House to start $3bn Tunisia project
- Abu Dhabi to see 10pc surge in new homes
- Saudi construction sector booming on new contracts
- Emaar offers 330 apartments in MBR City
- Dubai Design District sees big demand
- HUGE DEAL: Arabtec inks $40bn Egypt housing project
- Galfar ex-CEO gets 15 years' jail over bribes
- $32m BFH car park work underway
- Bahrain awards $5.8m project tenders
- Spinneys to set up distribution centre at Kizad
- Dubai unveils $300m hitech 'green' city project
- Deyaar plans $245m Dubai complex
- IFA unveils $272m Dubai mixed-use project
- CBRE tops Fortune’s most admired firms list
- Kuwait's real estate sales hit $1.1bn in Jan
- Dubai RTA awards $27m roads contract