Nakheel Q1 profit up 36pc to $133m
Dubai, April 17, 2013
Dubai property developer Nakheel, one of the biggest casualties of the emirate's real estate market crash in 2009, reported a 36 percent rise in first-quarter net profit on Wednesday as residential property prices and demand rebounded.
The government-owned firm posted a profit of 491 million dirhams ($133.4 million) in the quarter compared to 362 million dirhams in the corresponding period of 2012, Nakheel said in an emailed statement.
Revenue for the first quarter was 2.2 billion dirhams, up 62 percent from a year earlier.
Nakheel delivered 770 homes in the first quarter including units at its palm-shaped island project, Palm Jumeirah, it said.
Dubai house prices plunged over 50 percent over several years from a 2008 peak as a property boom turned to bust, with Nakheel among the most high-profile corporate casualties. The real estate sector has been recovering since last year.
First-quarter earnings "reflect the continual recovery of Dubai's real estate market and solid investor confidence in Nakheel and its projects", Nakheel chairman Ali Rashid Lootah said in the statement.
The developer agreed on a $16 billion debt restructuring in 2011 and scaled back grandiose plans, such as building a 1-kilometre high tower.
Nakheel said that since the restructuring it had paid over 1.1 billion dirhams in loan interest and profit disbursements on Islamic bonds, and made cash payments of around 11 billion dirhams to trade creditors and contractors. - Reuters
More Construction & Real Estate Stories
- Barwa net profit surges 27.3pc
- RAK Properties adds new villas to Flamingo project
- Saudi launches housing scheme to ease shortage
- R&M wins Oman residential project contract
- Asian skyscraper prices tower over rest of the world
- Tamleek opens new office in Dubai
- $29m allocated for Bahrain drainage projects
- Indian group plans $300m Bahrain Bay investment
- Drake and Scull awards key supply contract
- FCC wins $702m Doha metro line contract
- SPF Realty sees Dubai project success
- Abu Dhabi set for big property show
- Aldar working on $1.5bn UAE housing projects
- Gulf Finance House to start $3bn Tunisia project
- Abu Dhabi to see 10pc surge in new homes
- Saudi construction sector booming on new contracts
- Emaar offers 330 apartments in MBR City
- Dubai Design District sees big demand
- HUGE DEAL: Arabtec inks $40bn Egypt housing project
- Galfar ex-CEO gets 15 years' jail over bribes
- $32m BFH car park work underway
- Bahrain awards $5.8m project tenders
- Spinneys to set up distribution centre at Kizad
- Dubai unveils $300m hitech 'green' city project
- Deyaar plans $245m Dubai complex
- IFA unveils $272m Dubai mixed-use project
- CBRE tops Fortune’s most admired firms list
- Kuwait's real estate sales hit $1.1bn in Jan
- Dubai RTA awards $27m roads contract
- Work to start on Bahrain beach project