Friday 19 September 2014
 
»
 
»
Story

$171m spent on infrastructure projects in Bahrain

Manama, January 20, 2014

Around BD66 million ($171.7 million) was spent in Bahrain on 71 infrastructure projects last year, it was revealed yesterday.

Seventy-seven projects worth around BD116 million were also put out to tender, said a report in the Gulf Daily News (GDN), our sister publication.

The spending was outlined yesterday by Works Ministry public relations and information head Haffedh Abdulghaffar.

In a press conference that followed the weekly Cabinet session, chaired by Deputy Premier Shaikh Mohammed bin Mubarak Al Khalifa, he said the ministry was pushing ahead with multiple urbanisation and development projects.

"We have spent BD11.2 million on 19 tenders in the roads sector, while 20 tenders worth BD31.8 million were offered to contractors in the same sector last year," said Abdulghaffar.

"In the sanitation sector, we spent BD19.9 million on 23 tenders and 31 tenders were offered at a value of BD32.5 million.

"The ministry also spent BD34.78 million on constructing buildings, while 26 projects worth BD51.8 million were tendered."

He added eight tenders for infrastructure and building worth BD39.646 million were offered to contractors, which would be funded from a $10 billion aid package pledged by GCC countries.

"Seven tenders, worth BD35 million, financed by the Saudi Fund for Development have been tendered to contractors and they will cover the new Muharraq Interchange and a new highway in Hamad Town between roundabouts 13 and 18," he said.

"It will cover five schools in Hamad Town, Busaiteen, Isa Town, Malkiya and Hunainiya Valley.

"One tender, which will be financed by the Kuwaiti Fund for Development, is worth BD4.6 million and will develop the Shaikh Jaber Al Sobah Highway (the Alba and Nuwaidrat junction)."

Meanwhile, Abdulghaffar said the ministry was co-operating with the Interior Ministry on a clampdown on people stealing or removing manhole covers and putting residents' lives at risk.

He said open manholes posed a danger since people could fall in.

A toll free hotline 80001810 has been set up by the ministry for people to report manhole flooding and the removal of covers.

The Cabinet yesterday approved a memorandum presented by Works Minister Essam Khalaf detailing spending and planned projects.

The Cabinet also confirmed that the Bahrain International Airshow had succeeded in highlighting the kingdom's role as an exhibitions hub.

Ministers commended the efforts of the BIAS Supreme Organising committee and the Transportation Ministry in making the event a success, Cabinet secretary-general Dr Yaser bin Essa Al Naser said in a statement. - TradeArabia News Service




Tags: Bahrain | project | Infrastructure | Works |

More Construction & Real Estate Stories

calendarCalendar of Events

Ads