Soccer school to underline nutrition
Abu Dhabi, October 28, 2010
Manchester United School Soccer Schools (Muss) in Abu Dhabi will teach its young students diet and nutrition in addition to technical soccer skills, hoping the curriculum will help children foster an appreciation for good health.
“The kids are usually surprised when we talk about nutrition and fitness, but it’s a really important part of the game," says Muss head coach Andy Dixon.
“The professional players learn about diet and training really early on in their careers and we want to pass that information along. Our goal is for the students to apply the health advice to their everyday lives so that they can have an overall healthy lifestyle and excel at sport.”
Health education is especially important in the UAE where experts point to unhealthy diets and a lack of exercise for juvenile health problems.
The extent of the problem in the region was highlighted by a recent study which showed that one third of the Saudi Arabian population is obese, with physicians blaming child obesity levels there on a lack of physical activity in schools and consumption of junk food.
Chris Rosimus, Muss coach, said: “In football health is just as important as learning how to deliver a crisp pass or a winning shot, and in terms of quality of life and longevity, it’s even more paramount.”
“We talk to the kids about how they can get the best out of their bodies – throughout their lives,” he added.
The school, which is open to seven to 16-year-olds, officially launches on October 30. – TradeArabia News Service
More Education, HR & Training Stories
- HBMeU, Fujairah College sign education pact
- Oil industry struggling to attract women, says survey
- Etihad, HCT sign pact for education centre
- Workplace diversity focus of forum
- Deloitte in Islamic finance deal
- NBAD partners with top business school
- MBS to launch new MBA programme in Dubai
- EU equity buys Cambridge Education for $304m
- Etisalat hosts mobile learning conference
- Abu Dhabi Police partners with Harvard University