MPs vote to reopen Bahrain varsity
Manama, April 20, 2011
Parliament wants Bahrain University to reopen at the end of the month, seven weeks after it was ransacked by anti-government protesters.
MPs voted in favour of the move yesterday, despite warnings from university president Dr Ibrahim Janahi that it should only resume classes after tight security was in place to prevent vandalism and sabotage.
He told them administrative and academic procedures that would pave the way for courses to resume at the Isa Town and Sakhir campuses were still underway.
During an appearance in parliament, Dr Janahi revealed the university's board was expected to meet in the coming days to announce a date for the reopening and reschedule the second semester.
He said the university has sacked a female college dean and seven university lecturers in connection with violence at the Isa Town campus on March 13.
Meanwhile, a female lecturer has been issued a final verbal warning and another has been warned in writing, while 40 staff - including 12 security personnel - have been sacked.
A total of 120 students have been expelled and 10 suspended for a year, while 65 given notices to attend disciplinary committees haven't shown up.
Another 10 students have been cleared of any wrongdoing, while five enrolled in PhDs at foreign universities have had their scholarships stopped.
'We have punished around 200 students and we are working from 9am to 6pm in our three disciplinary committees daily to issue punishments on the lists of academics, staff and students.
'Damages at the university's campuses cost around BD350,000 and some of those involved have been referred to the government authority concerned for criminal action that doesn't involve the university.'
Meanwhile, it was announced that Bahrain Polytechnic will reopen today amid tighter campus security, more than a month after all courses were suspended following clashes at Bahrain University.
However, only 405 new students due to start courses last month are being allowed into the classrooms.
Two more batches are set to start their studies on April 24 and April 26, but a date has not been fixed for the return of another 1,500 already studying at the polytechnic when classes were suspended.-TradeArabia News Service