46 Bahrainis register for review of sacking
Manama, April 21, 2011
Unionists in Bahrain continued to register dismissed workers from private and public sectors, with 46 workers coming forward yesterday to list their details.
This takes the total number to 881 sacked workers, who have been visiting the General Federation of Bahrain Trade Unions (GFBTU) in Adliya for the past two weeks.
They are registering to avail the monthly unemployment insurance scheme, which offers new job-seekers with a university diploma or degree monthly assistance of BD150 and undergraduates BD120.
'Most of the workers we are registering now are from Alba, Bapco and Gulf Air,' said a GFBTU spokesman.
The largest number of sacked workers registered by unionists so far are 206 from Alba, 169 from Bapco,127 from APM Terminal and 126 from Batelco.
The number of registered sacked workers from Gulf Air increased yesterday from 69 to 76 and Banagas from 24 to 25.
A GFBTU spokesman said they would continue to register workers until sackings are stopped in pubic and private sectors.
A compiled list of all sacked workers will be submitted weekly to the Labour Ministry.
The ministry will evaluate each case and summon companies if a dismissal is found to be unfair.-TradeArabia News Service