Bahrain schools open for new academic year
Manama, September 12, 2011
More than 127,000 students yesterday (September 11) attended the first day of the new academic year at government schools across Bahrain.
Of these, more than 10,000 children were newly admitted first graders to 206 schools.
The start of the school year also marked the official opening of a new primary school in Al Ekar as well as new school buildings in Gallali, Budaiya and Hamad Town.
Education Minister Dr Majid Al Nuaimi visited Okba bin Nafeh Primary Boys School yesterday morning, where he welcomed new and returning students and teachers.
He pledged the government's continued support to the development of education and school facilities around the country.
He announced plans to carry out maintenance work on 25 per cent of its schools in the coming year in co-ordination with the Works Ministry.
The ministry is also aiming to erect new bus stops at various locations to ensure the safety of students.
Dr Al Nuaimi called on teachers and school managements to play their part in promoting unity and values of citizenship by educating the next generation of Bahrainis.
Speaking earlier this week, the minister stressed the importance of restoring the spirit of national unity in Bahrain.
He said that education was the basis for success in life and that Bahrain's leadership had given it priority so that the country can position itself at the forefront of modern nations.
Describing education as 'the master key to fight the battle of life', Dr Al Nuaimi said it provided the best method to construct any human entity.
He added that the task of education currently should be to promote values of good citizenship and restore the spirit of national unity among children in order to overcome the effects of the recent unrest.
Bahrain's schools were heavily disrupted by events this year, with Bahrain Teachers Society members striking in support of anti-government demonstrations.
A total of 111 society members were suspended for their participation in illegal protests and strikes in February and March.
Thousands of government school students also skipped classes to take part in a series of illegal demonstrations outside the Education Ministry during the early days of protests.
All schools yesterday reported a full attendance of students and teachers across all grades, according to the ministry.
Private school students will continue to return to class over the coming days, with some schools having already opened their doors last week. – TradeArabia News Service
More Education, HR & Training Stories
- SABB launches graduates programme
- DIAC ties up with business contest
- Australian open university in ME tie-up
- California ‘top destination for UAE students’
- Deloitte launches university for Europe, MEA
- Masdar joins Royal Society of Chemistry
- 77pc of Bahrain workforce 'are expats'
- Tawdheef to snap up Emirati talent
- Bayt.com launches new people search tool
- EF partners with Saudi education ministry