Bahrain to reinstate sacked govt workers
Manama, December 21, 2011
All government ministries in Bahrain have been ordered to reinstate workers sacked during unrest earlier this year and who have not yet been taken back, said a senior official.
The Civil Service Bureau sent out circulars with the instruction, its president Ahmed Al Zayed said yesterday.
He added the move was expected to benefit 180 Bahrainis who earlier lost their jobs in the public sector and had not yet been re-hired.
"The decision follows directives by His Majesty King Hamad and HRH Prime Minister Prince Khalifa bin Salman Al Khalifa to reinstate sacked workers," he said in a statement.
He said the decision was among recommendations of the Bahrain Independent Commission of Inquiry (BICI), adding that it meant all government employees who had been fired in connection with unrest would now be re-employed.
Al Zayed said all investigations had been completed and employees should be back at work by January 1. He added cases of employees referred to the Public Prosecution for alleged criminal activities would be followed up.
Al Zayed reiterated that under Bahraini law, they should still be considered employees and receive their salaries pending the results of any investigations.
The statement, issued by the Information Affairs Authority, also quoted a spokesman for the National Commission set up to follow up the recommendations of the BICI.
"This is a positive step for Bahrain and more importantly completes the final reinstatements of public sector employees," he said. "Moreover, it reflects the sincere desire to follow through on the important recommendations of the BICI in an expedient manner."
However, the General Federation of Bahrain Trade Unions (GFBTU) yesterday renewed its demand for all dismissed workers to be re-hired - including those in the private sector. The GFBTU registered more than 2,500 workers who were allegedly sacked during the unrest, many of whom were employed by private firms.
"We want direct reinstatement of all workers in public and private sectors, which will reduce the work of the tripartite committee that can submit its report on follow up on the sackings to the International Labour Organisation," said GFBTU secretary-general Salman Mahfoodh.
Mahfoodh added they would continue to attend meetings of the committee and expected results in the coming weeks.
The BICI report said it received 1,624 complaints from workers alleging they were dismissed or suspended from work as a result of the unrest. – TradeArabia News Service
More Education, HR & Training Stories
- New skills 'should be included in school curricula'
- DEZ to launch 'Smart Summer ' camp
- UAE sees faster jobs, salaries growth in 2014
- Kaspersky Lab appoints EMT as training centre
- New fee structure likely for Bahrain manpower agencies
- Silah Gulf unveils big GCC expansion plan
- Bahrainisation levels up in public, private sectors
- UAE companies set to hire more freshers
- Gulf education expo brand enters Mexico
- Nasdaq Dubai to provide Claritas preparation course
- Alhosn hosts architectural expo in Abu Dhabi
- University in pay row with Bahraini faculty
- Bahrain to host novel protocol training programme
- Bahrain jobless rate 'very low'
- University of Ain Shams opens MS treatment unit
- Masdar Institute launches BP scholarship programme
- New 'Indian' school to open in Bahrain
- Qapco to fund 6 Qatar University projects
- CIMA unveils innovative syllabus for 2015
- 100 experts for Dubai HR summit
- J4B marks first year with Tamkeen backing
- Saudi CEOs ‘highest paid in GCC’
- UAE ministry seals Microsoft deal
- Pact signed for UAE girls students' development
- Bahrain private school to resume classes
- BIBF signs deal with Palestinian institute
- Number of Omani working women soars
- Bayt.com launches Employer of Choice Awards
- Rota interview to screen youth conference applicants
- Experts discuss ways to build talented aviation workforce