900 sacked workers reinstated in Bahrain
Manama, February 2, 2012
More than 900 workers sacked in the wake of the unrest in Bahrain have been reinstated, according to latest Labour Ministry figures.
It said out of the 2,462 people dismissed, 937 had already resumed their duties and another 608 had been given the go-ahead for reinstatement by their companies.
Another 291 workers have reportedly taken employment at other companies with better jobs or at the same level as their previous jobs.
The ministry said 44 dismissed workers refused to be reinstated, although their employers had agreed to take them back and therefore their files had been closed.
It said two other sacked workers had been given approval by their former employers to be re-instated, but were waiting for the final approval from the security authorities due to the special nature of their places of work.
The ministry said 202 dismissed workers did not file a complaint to the ministry and did not answer calls for more information regarding their cases.
"The dismissals of 194 other workers are not related to the unfortunate events last year and have been dealt with as per the law and the regular procedures," the ministry said in a statement.
"Five workers were also unable to be reinstated because their former companies had closed down," the ministry added.
Of the remaining workers, only 179 have not been accepted back by their companies for various reasons, the ministry said, adding that it will continue working to find a solution. – TradeArabia News Service