Leo launches psoriasis support programme
Dubai, March 29, 2012
Denmark-based Leo Pharma, a global leader in dermatology preparations, has rolled out a first-of-its-kind support programme for psoriasis patients in the region starting next month.
Leo Pharma, makers of a new once-daily gel formulation for the treatment of scalp psoriasis, said that its programme MOMENT will be run across the UAE and the Gulf in partnership with psychologists and dermatologists.
“There are a sizeable number of psoriasis patients across the UAE and the Gulf region and MOMENT will address them on an emotional scale, a very imperative need considering the psychological impact of this skin disease on a person,” said Hisham Omar, general manager, Gulf Region, Iran, Yemen & Turkey, Leo Pharma.
“We believe that MOMENT is perhaps a first-of-its-kind support programme for psoriasis patients in the Gulf since such endeavours are largely unknown and are far and few in the region, he said, adding that the support programme had been running in other countries in the world and some parts of the Mena successfully.”
“Psoriasis being a life-long disease, national support groups play a very important role in engaging the patients on a psychological plane helping them manage their life on a day-to-day basis,” said Dr Hussain Abdel Dayem, consultant dermatologist at Al Noor Hospital, Abu Dhabi.
He said currently there are no national support groups for psoriasis patients in the UAE or the Gulf region.
“It is estimated that some 2.8 per cent of the UAE’s population has psoriasis affliction and support groups are a dire necessity. Psoriasis affects all ages and mostly among middle aged people, but we have even seen it among kids,” Dr Dayem said.
Psoriasis is a chronic, inflammatory skin disease that affects one to three per cent of the general population across the globe. It is estimated that 50-80 per cent of people suffering from psoriasis have scalp involvement.
Leo Pharma said that physicians will now have a new treatment option for scalp psoriasis with the launch of the once-daily gel formulation containing the proven combination.
According to Nicholas Polymenachos, regional marketing manager, Leo Pharma, published clinical data demonstrate that this novel once-daily gel is effective with a very rapid onset of action; approximately 6 out of 10 patients are clear or almost clear of the symptoms of the disease after just two weeks treatment with the new gel.
Compliance with once-daily psoriasis treatments is almost double than that seen with twice daily therapies, according to a study performed involving psoriatic patients, he added. – TradeArabia News Service
More Health & Environment Stories
- Dubai Healthcare City inks deal with UAE universities
- University of Ain Shams opens MS treatment unit
- Bahrain's humidity could ease water crisis
- Visibility in Bahrain forecast to improve
- Bahrain-India venture plans hospitals in GCC
- Seha launches new health initiative
- Veolia backs Oman waste management meet
- Obesity rate at 72pc among Saudi adults
- Bahrain ideal for artificial rain experiment
- Riyadh 'among most polluted cities'
- CGM acquires 3 European healthcare IT providers
- The age of genomic medicine dawns, finally
- Over 300 exhibitors for Saudi healthcare event
- Mackeen unveils document management solution
- Seha opens new clinics in Abu Dhabi, Al Ain
- SARS virus claims one more victim in Saudi
- New support group comes to overeaters' rescue
- RAK Hospital launches urinary clinic for women
- NBAD backs Emiratis on Antarctica trip
- Cut sugar intake drastically urges WHO
- Al khaliji to fund Qatar recycling plant
- Qatar researcher in 360km breast cancer run
- New facilitator to open in DHCC
- Many countries lack capacity to prevent hearing loss
- QUIT NOW: Passive smoking hurts kids' arteries
- San Francisco to ban plastic water bottles
- GSK wins home toothpaste award for Sensodyne
- E-integration vital to GCC healthcare industry
- Fakih IVF unveils two new genetic tests
- 2 die from H1N1 in Oman