Conference to focus on obesity issues
Sharjah, June 27, 2013
Medical professionals from across the UAE will discuss obesity-related topics at a conference organised by government-operated Al Qassimi Hospital, in cooperation with the International Federation for the Surgery of Obesity (IFSO).
The ‘Sharjah Obesity Day’ event will be held on June 29 at the Cultural Palace in Sharjah. It will be led by Dr Abdulwahid Al Wahedi, consultant general surgeon and head of department, with Dr Tariq Mahdy, consultant general surgeon and laparoscopic surgeon.
The topics to be discussed include pathophysiology, causes and metabolic aspects, treatment options, surgical complications, patient experience and Al Qassimi Hospital experiences and results, said a statement.
Additionally, the conference seeks to cover early complications like leaks, bleeding and obstructions as well as possible complications that may occur after the Bariatric operation, it said.
The cost of the operation at the Al Qassimi Hospital is set between Dh12,000 and 13,000 ($3,267 and $3,539) and free of charge for Emiratis, said an official.
Al Wahedi said: “We recommend every individual to control their eating habits and try to adopt a healthy lifestyle. The best treatment for oneself is prevention.”
Obesity is a serious global health problem, the fifth leading cause of death, according to the World Health Organization. It is also associated with an increased risk of diabetes, ischemic heart disease, musculoskeletal disorders, and even certain cancers. – TradeArabia News Service
More Health & Environment Stories
- Abu Dhabi to host mHealth summit
- DHA unveils roll out plan for health insurance
- Dubai hospital performs new pinhole surgery
- Al Ain Civil Defence ties up with disabilities centre
- ADWEA strategic partner for water summit
- Conference to focus on HSE issues
- Deadly human MERS virus also infects camels
- Axa Gulf launches medical provider locator
- Saudi medical devices market to hit $1.6bn
- Bahrain clamp on fitness drugs