Wednesday 27 August 2014
 
»
 
»
NEW CASES FUEL PUBLIC FEAR

Mers virus deaths cross 100-mark in Saudi

Riyadh, April 28, 2014

Death due to the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (Mers) in Saudi Arabia reached 102 on Sunday with the kingdom reporting 10 new deaths in 24 hours, a report said.

The rapid rise in the number of deaths has fuelled concern among the public. As many as 39 people died this month alone from the virus attack, said the Arab News report.

The Health Ministry said 10 new deaths occurred during the past 24 hours while 16 new confirmed cases have been reported in Jeddah (8), Tabuk (6) and Riyadh (2).

The newly confirmed cases include three doctors and six Filipino nurses.

The Health Ministry, meanwhile, has set up the fourth specialised medical centre for Mers in Najran after announcing such centres in Jeddah, Riyadh and Dammam, the report said.

Meanwhile, Education Minister Khaled Al-Faisal urged school authorities to take precautionary measures to prevent the virus from spreading. No Mers cases have been reported in schools so far.




Tags: Saudi | Virus | Health | MERS |

More Health & Environment Stories

calendarCalendar of Events

Ads