Al Hafri to set up sugar refinery in Sohar
Sohar, Oman, November 14, 2007
Al Hafri Sugar Refinery Co will build a new integrated sugar refinery complex in the Sohar Industrial Port in Oman.
Al Hafri is part of HH Al Sayyid Asaad Bin Tariq Al Said's multi-faceted group of companies.
Al Hafri Sugar Refinery will produce approximately 660,000 tonnes of white sugar per year by utilising the module of Cordonnier SA.
The refinery will be one of the largest in the region and designed to meet growing regional demand. Europe and Africa are the targeted market for the surplus product from Oman.
Maqbool bin Ali bin Sultan, Minister of Cornrnerce and Industry and chairman of the board of Sohar Industrial Port Company (SIPC), expressed his satisfaction that Al Hafri has chosen to invest in Sohar.
This investment and its related cargo flows will further strengthen the position of Sohar as an industrial and container port, he said.
Cordonnier SA is a leading European engineering technology company which provides global process technology solutions to sugar industries. It is the principal company which will supply the technology, design and equipment of the refinery.
According to a spokesperson of Al Hafri, Cordonnier SA was hand-picked for the project based on the wealth of experience it has accumulated in the field of sugar refining equipment, which positions them as a world leader in its field. - TradeArabia News Service
More Industry, Logistics & Shipping Stories
- MAG boosts Iraq shipping capacity by 60pc
- Sabic to distribute $2.4bn dividends in H2
- Pearl diving 'regains popularity' in Bahrain
- AerCap to buy AIG aircraft leasing unit for $5.4bn
- Safco to pay $1.6 per share cash dividend
- UAE ranked 17th globally for merchandise export
- Investments in Saudi plastics sector hit $50bn
- Asry Bahrain overhaul plan approved
- DHL Mena chief wins top honour
- Dubai Investments unit wins $38m projects