RTA transported 91m passengers in 2007
Dubai , January 26, 2008
Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) transported around 91 million passengers in over 1.8 million trips on board the public transport buses using 68 routes in 2007, a top official said.
Besides this, the agency also transported over 10 million commuters in 380,000 trips aboard the Inter-city buses using 16 routes, Essa Al Dosari, CEO of the public transport agency at the RTA said while reviewing its achievements during last year.
Al Dosari reaffirmed that the agency is working towards an integrated plan to develop the services provided by public transport buses through introduction of new buses including the articulated and double-decker buses.
These buses will be imported from the best global origins in order to cover 95 per cent of Dubai's urban areas in three years, he added.
The new inter-city buses will link Dubai to the capital Abu Dhabi, Sharjah, Ajman, Umm Al Quwain, Ras Al Kamiah and Fujairah along with other cities, including Al Ain, Al Thed Masafi and Jebel Ali.
He said that the RTA had bought 170 double-decker buses, 300 articulated buses and 150 traditional ones, Dosari said.
'The first batch of articulated buses was delivered in August 2007 and the second batch would be delivered in June 2008, the traditional buses were delivered in December 2007 and the other batch would be delivered in June 2008, while the double-deckers would be delivered in December 2008,' he noted.
'Tenders have been invited from the top global companies for the supply of 1,616 new sophisticated buses, he added.-TradeArabia News Service
More Industry, Logistics & Shipping Stories
- Flare, Jordan form parent company ‘Aereon’
- Drydocks delivers second MCV for US
- ASIS launches amphibious leisure boat
- Taskforce sought to develop Saudi downstream sector
- DP World launches $200m India project
- RAK 'exploring' ceramics unit stake sale
- Mideast carriers top global air freight growth
- DMCA launches maritime solution apps
- Saudi plans oil-to-chemicals plant at Yanbu
- Sabic gets four bids for JV with Mitsubishi Rayon
- Pentair, IDC launch industrial services JV
- Major maritime conference to be held in Dubai
- GPIC wins key IFA certification
- Gulf rules must aid e-commerce: Aramex
- Gulftainer expands 2013 ops by 50pc
- DMCA to take part in Dubai boat show
- Al Namal to launch eco-friendly chillers
- Abu Dhabi city ports to receive facelift
- Kuwait Styrene posts $180m net profit
- Drydocks set for key energy event
- Aramex launches new address check system
- Toshiba in green push at Bahrain expo
- Equate net profit surges 14pc to $1.2bn
- Shaikh Daij named new Alba chairman
- Al Abbas wins logistics rights to Sudan
- Milaha profits jump 14pc to top $260m
- BIC, Al Zayani renew partnership
- Dubai Metro to open 2 stations Saturday
- Top petchem firms back UAE plastics events
- DGCX, China’s DCE launch plastics futures