Jebel Ali port receives mega container ship
Dubai, August 20, 2009
Global port operator DP World’s flagship Jebel Ali Port has received one of the world’s largest container ships, MSC Kalina, at its Terminal 2.
The vessel, from the fleet of the Geneva-based shipping line, Mediterranean Shipping Company SA (MSC), is 366 metres long, 52 metres wide, and has a draught of 15.3 metres.
Registered in Panama, MSC Kalina has a nominal capacity of 14,000 TEU (twenty foot equivalent container units), like her sister ship, MSC Daniela, the largest container vessel ever built, based on TEU. MSC Daniela had visited Jebel Ali Port in February this year.
The single hull MSC Kalina was built at the Samsung Heavy Industries yard in Ulsan, South Korea. MSC Daniela was launched in 2008, while MSC Kalina took to the seas this year.
Jebel Ali is one of the few ports in the world designed to service such mega freighters.
As of May, MSC is operating over 410 container vessels with an intake capacity of approx 1.5 million TEUs, serving more than 270 ports world wide. – TradeArabia News Service
More Industry, Logistics & Shipping Stories
- Sabic sponsors industrial innovation award
- Emirates SkyCargo wins top carrier award
- Maaden reopens phosphate, ammonia plants
- GCC exports over 80pc of petchem production
- Harris Pye opens Dubai office
- 14pc UAE GDP 'comes from logistics'
- Maersk plans to double freight charges
- GB Auto boosted by record sales revenues
- Dutch shipyard to build 14 terminal tugs for KOC
- Drydocks chairman gets top honour