DSO eyes European quality certification
Dubai, November 14, 2009
Dubai Silicon Oasis (DSO) has announced the launch of internal processes to qualify for the European Foundation for Quality Management (EFQM) certification, the most widely-used business excellence framework in Europe.
DSO is the region’s premier integrated innovations hub for high-technology industries.
DSOA chief executive officer Dr Mohammed Al Zarouni,said: “On our continuous journey to achieving operational excellence, we are delighted to launch the processes that will lead to adopting the EFQM model; a model that focuses on people in the organization.'
Al Zarouni announced this at a gala award ceremony at the Grand Hyatt in Dubai that drew the attendance of top ranking officials from DSO, Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT-Dubai), and Dubai Circuit Design Center (DCD).
'This move validates our commitment to shape a major technology hub in the region and deliver business excellence in all aspects of our operations,' he added.
The EFQM model recognizes numerous approaches for achieving sustainable excellence in the organization’s performance. It uses leadership, people, policy and strategy, partnership and resources, and processes as enablers to achieve business excellence and enhance results.
The EFQM model plays an essential role in developing the culture of quality and raising the efficiency of applicant organizations.
With over 700 members and nearly 30,000 businesses using the excellence model, EFQM’s stringent criteria is widely regarded an important benchmark for improving the overall performance of businesses across all sectors.
In keeping with this criteria, the DSO gala ceremony saw select employees being honored for their contribution to the high-tech park’s level of excellence in EFQM’s four core areas of people, customers, society and operational performance.
Dr Zarouni said, 'The EFQM framework will allow us to better analyze our organization holistically by using diagnostic tools and methods to assess our strengths and areas for improvements.'
'The framework stands as a benchmark to continuously review core organizational functions in order to eliminate process variations and non-value added activities. At the same time, it is a great platform to evaluate operational tools, frameworks, processes and resources and align them with corporate strategy, systems, procedures and culture,' he added.
Endorsing its commitment to quality, Dubai Silicon Oasis has earlier received the ISO 9001:2000 certification, which is recognized by more than 150 countries and considered the highest standard for quality assurance through its focus on customer satisfaction, management responsibility and continual improvement.-TradeArabia News Service
More Industry, Logistics & Shipping Stories
- Emal to supply molten aluminium to Ducab unit
- Ducab acquires British cable firm
- Emirates SkyCargo wins top awards
- Bayer opens new coatings, adhesives lab in Dubai
- Chep Aerospace unveils new ULD mobile app
- Cargo summit calls for cut in transit times
- Dubai bus fare cheapest among top cities
- DHL Express boosts Mideast fleet
- DNV to re-certifiy Drydocks World services
- Amphibious boats make global debut in Dubai
- Qatar sets up mixed business incubator
- Non-oil sectors ‘biggest contributors to UAE economy’
- Alba educates customers on best practices
- Spinneys to set up distribution centre at Kizad
- Maritime courses draw more trainees
- Dow to showcase at Dubai coatings expo
- UAE aluminium sector backs Syria refugees
- Asry in big vessel repair milestone
- Flare, Jordan form parent company ‘Aereon’
- Drydocks delivers second MCV for US
- ASIS launches amphibious leisure boat
- Taskforce sought to develop Saudi downstream sector
- DP World launches $200m India project
- RAK 'exploring' ceramics unit stake sale
- Mideast carriers top global air freight growth
- DMCA launches maritime solution apps
- Saudi plans oil-to-chemicals plant at Yanbu
- Sabic gets four bids for JV with Mitsubishi Rayon
- Pentair, IDC launch industrial services JV
- Major maritime conference to be held in Dubai