Zamil, Huntsman plan Jubail JV
Everberg, Belgium, December 9, 2009
Huntsman Corporation and Zamil Group Holding Company have signed a non-binding memorandum of understanding (MoU) to explore the feasibility of building a joint venture in Jubail, Saudi Arabia.
The venture will produce morpholine and Diglycolamine Agent (DGA) amines.
According to the MoU, the joint venture will operate the proposed plant on a 50:50 basis and would use technology licensed from Huntsman, with Huntsman also having the rights to global sales and marketing of products produced at the plant.
Daniele Ferrari, president of the Performance Products division of Huntsman, said: "This planned joint venture would make Huntsman the most global supplier of DGA and morpholine, with assets in Europe, the United States and now the Middle East.
"It would also fulfill part of our on-going strategy of expanding in the Middle East to better serve local and global customers, including the growing gas-treatment market in the Gulf."
He added: "The Zamil Group Holding Company is a major player in the region's petrochemical industry and we are delighted to explore the opportunity of cooperating again with such a dynamic company.
Fahad Al-Zamil, president of Zamil Group Holding Company/Jubail Operations, said: "The underlying principle governing the operations of our company is strength through diversity and this joint venture would be the latest step in our continued strategy of investing in higher value-added chemicals."
He added: "We have a history of successful partnerships with Huntsman Corporation
and we would be very pleased to provide the JV with a stable and successful base in Saudi Arabia."
Amines are chemical intermediates used in a very wide range of products and applications, including detergents, personal care products, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, cement, metal-working fluids, agrochemicals, fuels, dyes, coatings and resins and gas treatment. Morpholine is a neutralising amine used for preventing carbonic acid corrosion in plant or refinery steam condensate systems.
Diglycolamine Agent amine is used for removing carbon dioxide and hydrogen sulphide from refinery and production gas streams. Huntsman currently makes morpholine and Diglycolamine Agent amines at its plants in Port Neches, Texas and Llanelli, Wales. - TradeArabia News Service
More Industry, Logistics & Shipping Stories
- Emal to supply molten aluminium to Ducab unit
- Ducab acquires British cable firm
- Emirates SkyCargo wins top awards
- Bayer opens new coatings, adhesives lab in Dubai
- Chep Aerospace unveils new ULD mobile app
- Cargo summit calls for cut in transit times
- Dubai bus fare cheapest among top cities
- DHL Express boosts Mideast fleet
- DNV to re-certifiy Drydocks World services
- Amphibious boats make global debut in Dubai
- Qatar sets up mixed business incubator
- Non-oil sectors ‘biggest contributors to UAE economy’
- Alba educates customers on best practices
- Spinneys to set up distribution centre at Kizad
- Maritime courses draw more trainees
- Dow to showcase at Dubai coatings expo
- UAE aluminium sector backs Syria refugees
- Asry in big vessel repair milestone
- Flare, Jordan form parent company ‘Aereon’
- Drydocks delivers second MCV for US
- ASIS launches amphibious leisure boat
- Taskforce sought to develop Saudi downstream sector
- DP World launches $200m India project
- RAK 'exploring' ceramics unit stake sale
- Mideast carriers top global air freight growth
- DMCA launches maritime solution apps
- Saudi plans oil-to-chemicals plant at Yanbu
- Sabic gets four bids for JV with Mitsubishi Rayon
- Pentair, IDC launch industrial services JV
- Major maritime conference to be held in Dubai