Kharafi, Hyundai win $1.1bn Kuwait port deal
Kuwait, January 26, 2010
Kuwait's Kharafi Group and South Korea's Hyundai Engineering and Construction have won a 328 million dinar ($1.14 billion) contract to develop a port in Kuwait, a local daily said on Tuesday.
The firms won the tender for the second part of the first phase of the project on Boubyan island, which includes designing and building the seaport, Kuwaiti daily newspaper Al-Rai said in an unsourced report.
In 2004, Kuwait approved a $3.47 billion plan to develop the island into a commercial port to position itself to play a key role in Iraq's reconstruction after the 2003 US-led invasion. - Reuters
More Industry, Logistics & Shipping Stories
- Abu Dhabi port sets container throughput record
- Alba unit to mark HSE week
- Mideast air freight growth up 12.3pc
- Tycoon Sawiris announces $1bn Egypt investment
- Drydocks to build giant jack-up rigs in Dubai
- iMENA unveils big Saudi investment plans
- Top industrial trade fair opens in Oman
- Siemens names key Middle East officials
- Dow plans to sell chlorine operations
- Sabic opens $100m R&D centre in China