Forum focuses on logistics skills
Abu Dhabi, March 27, 2010
Abu Dhabi-based Centre for Logistics and Supply Chain Management recently held a forum focusing on the enrichment of the skill and qualification of logistics personnel in the region.
The two-day programme, titled ‘Basic principles, organisational concepts, trends and strategies in logistics’ was delivered by the Institute for Vocational Development (IVD), which provides vocational training programmes in the UAE and GCC.
The forum tackled a range of topics relevant to the development of logistics in the GCC region, bearing in mind that only 30 per cent of companies worldwide that are equipped with efficient logistics systems.
There remains a vast potential for growth in the global logistics industry, especially so for the GCC, owing to its central location and innumerable untapped resources, a statement said.
In the anticipation that transportation is likely to double over the next 10 years, the course was also able to provide a practical guide to planning and implementation of efficient systems of supply chain management, the statement added.
“We are pleased to have had such an excellent response to this first programme offered by IVD through the Centre of Excellence for Logistics and Supply Chain Management,” said Richard Firth, director for IVD.
“The delegates were enthusiastic, and contributed actively to the group discussions which made for a great program. Many important issues were discussed over the two days including how to manage the tension between providing excellent service and the costs of Logistics and the supply chain,” he added.
Other topics covered during the program included: development of logistics; customer order and performance process within the company; goals and key indicators; trends and strategies; dynamic effects in value added chains; supply chain management; procurement; and distribution and city logistics. – TradeArabia News Service
More Industry, Logistics & Shipping Stories
- Cargo summit calls for cut in transit times
- Dubai bus fare cheapest among top cities
- DHL Express boosts Mideast fleet
- DNV to re-certifiy Drydocks World services
- Amphibious boats make global debut in Dubai
- Qatar sets up mixed business incubator
- Non-oil sectors ‘biggest contributors to UAE economy’
- Alba educates customers on best practices
- Spinneys to set up distribution centre at Kizad
- Maritime courses draw more trainees
- Dow to showcase at Dubai coatings expo
- UAE aluminium sector backs Syria refugees
- Asry in big vessel repair milestone
- Flare, Jordan form parent company ‘Aereon’
- Drydocks delivers second MCV for US
- ASIS launches amphibious leisure boat
- Taskforce sought to develop Saudi downstream sector
- DP World launches $200m India project
- RAK 'exploring' ceramics unit stake sale
- Mideast carriers top global air freight growth
- DMCA launches maritime solution apps
- Saudi plans oil-to-chemicals plant at Yanbu
- Sabic gets four bids for JV with Mitsubishi Rayon
- Pentair, IDC launch industrial services JV
- Major maritime conference to be held in Dubai
- GPIC wins key IFA certification
- Gulf rules must aid e-commerce: Aramex
- Gulftainer expands 2013 ops by 50pc
- DMCA to take part in Dubai boat show
- Al Namal to launch eco-friendly chillers