Somali pirates hijack UAE cargo vessel
Brussels, December 21, 2010
Somali pirates hijacked a cargo vessel from the UAE yesterday after firing small arms and rocket propelled grenades at the ship, Europe’s anti-piracy mission said.
The Orna was seized in the Indian Ocean around 400 nautical miles northeast of the Seychelles archipelago, according to a report in our sister newspaper Gulf Daily News.
At least four pirates boarded the ship after stopping it, the statement said, adding that the crew was co-operating with the assailants and no damage was reported.
More Industry, Logistics & Shipping Stories
- Sabic unveils green plastics for construction
- Sabic opens new facilities in Jubail
- Asry plans multimillion dollar floating dock
- TNT unveils new communication unit in Oman
- Hilco plans sale of seafood unit equipment
- Alessa unveils Qatar expansion plans
- Intermetal to build $20m furniture factory in Dubai
- Bahri wins top Arab shipping award
- Dubai Metro carries 33.3m commuters in Q1
- Sudan to sell stakes in four sugar plants