APM Terminals 'buys Georgia port from Rakia'
Tbilisi, April 4, 2011
The United Arab Emirates' Rakia has sold control of the Georgian Black Sea port of Poti to APM Terminals, a unit of Denmark's A.P Moller-Maersk, a Georgian official said on Monday.
"APM Terminals became a major investor in Poti port," Georgy Meladze, the head of the parliamentary committee for economy, told independent Rustavi-2 TV company.
"The company will invest $65 million into reconstruction of terminals in the port and development of its infrastructure," he said.
"It's one of the biggest deals between private investors in Georgia," he said, adding that details would be announced later.
Rakia and APM Terminals made no comment. A senior government official told Reuters on Friday talks between the parties might be concluded "within the coming days."
He said that the Georgian government was involved in talks as it holds a veto right over the deal. Government sources told Reuters Rakia could sell an 80 percent stake.
APM Terminals does not currently have a Black Sea port. Its terminal nearest to Georgia is in Italy.
Rakia bought Poti port and 300 hectares of land in 2008 to develop a free industrial zone. It initially acquired a 51 percent stake for $90 million in 2008 and bought the remaining 49 percent for $65 million in 2009.
Rakia said last year it was planning an initial public offering for Poti in 2011. - Reuters
More Industry, Logistics & Shipping Stories
- Flare, Jordan form parent company ‘Aereon’
- Drydocks delivers second MCV for US
- ASIS launches amphibious leisure boat
- Taskforce sought to develop Saudi downstream sector
- DP World launches $200m India project
- RAK 'exploring' ceramics unit stake sale
- Mideast carriers top global air freight growth
- DMCA launches maritime solution apps
- Saudi plans oil-to-chemicals plant at Yanbu
- Sabic gets four bids for JV with Mitsubishi Rayon
- Pentair, IDC launch industrial services JV
- Major maritime conference to be held in Dubai
- GPIC wins key IFA certification
- Gulf rules must aid e-commerce: Aramex
- Gulftainer expands 2013 ops by 50pc
- DMCA to take part in Dubai boat show
- Al Namal to launch eco-friendly chillers
- Abu Dhabi city ports to receive facelift
- Kuwait Styrene posts $180m net profit
- Drydocks set for key energy event
- Aramex launches new address check system
- Toshiba in green push at Bahrain expo
- Equate net profit surges 14pc to $1.2bn
- Shaikh Daij named new Alba chairman
- Al Abbas wins logistics rights to Sudan
- Milaha profits jump 14pc to top $260m
- BIC, Al Zayani renew partnership
- Dubai Metro to open 2 stations Saturday
- Top petchem firms back UAE plastics events
- DGCX, China’s DCE launch plastics futures